Homemade Pecan Pie
This classic pecan pie recipe is rich and indulgently sweet. It’s packed with the flavors of caramelized pecans, molasses, and vanilla. Not only is it decadent, but it’s also easy to make!
Why this recipe is so great:
- Easy and homemade – This made-from-scratch pecan pie recipe is incredibly easy to make. Everything is made by hand with simple ingredients. The crust is just mix and roll. There is no chilling or blind baking required. The filling is all whisked together in one bowl. This recipe is quick to prepare with minimal dishes.
- Rich and decadent – Pecan pie is not for the weak. I mean it is an utterly sweet, rich indulgence. The filling has eggs, sugar, and more sugar (which is what corn syrup basically is). However, calories aside, nothing beats a good old-fashioned pecan pie. The flaky pie crust with the toasted pecans. The gooey center with its taste of sweet brown sugar, spicy molasses, and creamy vanilla. It’s a southern classic at its best.
- Keeps well – Because of the high sugar content, pecan pie keeps very well, up to 5 days refrigerated. During the busy holiday season, it makes for a great make-ahead dessert.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- AP flour
- salt & granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- milk & eggs
- corn syrup – light or dark
- vanilla extract
- pecans – chopped or halves
- chocolate whipped cream (optional)
- whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
How to make pecan pie:
(the ingredient amounts are listed in the printable recipe card further below)
Crust – Toss together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Add the vegetable oil and milk. Stir together until the dough forms and knead into a ball on a sheet of wax paper.
Place another sheet of wax paper on top and roll it out into a large circle about 11-12″ in diameter. Use the bottom sheet of wax paper to lift it and flip it onto a 9″ pie plate. Crimp the edges and set aside.
Filling – In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, corn syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the pecans to coat. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Bake the pie at 350F for 1 hour.
How to serve:
You can serve pecan pie warm, room temperature, or cold. It’s great served warm with a scoop of ice cream, or a dollop of whipped cream, or my favorite chocolate whipped cream because there is something about the bitterness of chocolate that goes really well with the sweetness of pecan pie.
Does pecan pie need to be refrigerated?
Yes, because it’s rich in eggs, pecan pie does require refrigeration.
Can you freeze pecan pie?
Yes, pecan pie freezes very well. Tightly wrap the completely cooled pie in a double layer of plastic wrap, then wrap it in another layer of aluminum foil or place in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What is pecan pie filling?
Pecan pie filling is made of eggs, butter, pecans, and sugar. Recipes typically call for granulated sugar and corn syrup, but variations may include brown sugar, cane syrup, sugar syrup, molasses, maple syrup, or honey. Flavorings such as vanilla, cinnamon, or bourbon are sometimes added as well.
How to tell if pecan pie is done?
Pecan pie is done when the edges are puffed up and set but the center still jiggles. The best way to tell is by using a thermometer: once the internal temperature of the pie reaches 200F, it’s done.
You might also like:
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Homemade Apple Pie
- Toffee Apple Pecan Crumble Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
This classic pecan pie recipe is rich and sinfully sweet. It’s packed with flavors of caramelized pecans, molasses and vanilla.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour, twice sifted
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (62ml) milk
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) melted butter
- 1 cup (250ml) light or dark corn syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 1&1/2 cups (170g) pecans (chopped or halves)
Chocolate whipped cream
- 1 cup (250ml) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Set aside a 9″ pie plate.
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a well in the center.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together. If the dough seems too dry, add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper.
- Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper. Fit the crust onto your pie plate and finish edges with a spoon.
- Whisk together the sugar, butter, corn syrup, eggs and vanilla. Stir in the pecan to coat and pour into pie crust.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the center reaches 200F. You can also test by lightly tapping the center surface of the pie – it should spring back when done. Loosely cover the pie with foil after 40 minutes to prevent the crust from over browning. Let cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before serving.
To prepare the whipped cream
- Beat the whipping cream, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar together until med-stiff peaks. Serve with each slice of pie.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pecan pie recipe, easy pecan pie, chocolate whipped cream recipe
Recipe adapted from KaroSyrup.com