This incredible chocolate cake recipe is just as easy to make as a boxed cake mix. It’s crazy moist and super delicious. The luscious chocolate frosting is silky-smooth and creamy. It’s the ultimate chocolate lover’s dream!
Even though I’m a baker, I have to sheepishly admit I’m a fan of cake mixes. The convenience and ease can’t be beat and they bake up fluffy and moist every time. So when I came across this chocolate cake recipe from Life, Love and Sugar, I immediately feel in love. It produces a chocolatey thin batter and bakes up dark, soft and supremely moist, just like a cake mix, but even better because it’s made from scratch with no preservatives or artificial flavors.
This recipe is also easily adaptable. You can use it to make cupcakes, a layer cake or even a bundt cake. I choose to make a 9×13″ sheet cake because it’s the easiest kind of cake to make. I mean, all you have to do is pour the whole batter into one baking pan and then slather some frosting on it. There’s no need to evenly divide the batter or get fancy with piping the frosting and it feeds a crowd which is great for the holiday season coming up. Sheet cakes are also so simple to serve because you can easily cut them into any size piece of cake you want. They’re great for kid parties, office parties, potlucks, any occasion where there lots of guests and you want an uncomplicated yet delicious dessert to serve.
Your guests might think to themselves “oh, another chocolate cake” when you hand them a slice of this simplistic looking cake. However, when they take their first bite, just watch their eyes light up in awe of how amazing this cake is. I say that with confidence because I have received incredible feedback from this recipe.
This chocolate cake is soft, fluffy and incredibly moist. The taste is rich with a deep chocolate flavor. The frosting is creamy, smooth and very chocolatey. It’s the perfect cake for anyone who’s a fan of chocolate.
Easy & Moist Chocolate Sheet Cake
This incredible chocolate cake recipe is just as easy to make as a boxed cake mix. It’s crazy moist and super delicious. The luscious chocolate frosting is silky-smooth and creamy.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12-24
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 cups (228g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) hot water
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (500g) powdered sugar
- 4–6 tbsp milk or cream
- 1/2 cup (57g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13″ baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the hot water and stir until the batter is well combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
To prepare the buttercream:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter for 1 minute until creamy. Mix in 1 cup of powder sugar and with 1 tbsp of milk/cream at a time, mixing well in between.
- Mix in the cocoa powder and vanilla until smooth. Add more milk/cream if necessary for a spreadable consistency.
For two 8″ round pans, bake for 30–35 minutes.
For two 9″ round pans, bake for 25–30 minutes.
For cupcakes (makes 24), bake for 15-20 minutes.
For a bundt pan, bake for 40-45 minutes.
Keywords: chocolate cake recipe, easy chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream recipe