This is a classic German Chocolate Cake made with a moist and delicious chocolatey cake and a rich coconut-pecan frosting. It’s spectacular and indulgent with its fudgy cake layers, and its sweet and gooey nutty frosting.I remember my first taste of a German chocolate cake. It was many years ago at a friend’s house, but I still recall very clearly that sweet coconut pecan frosting and deep-dark chocolate cake. I remember savoring the chewy texture of the shredded coconut and how the sweetness lingers on your palate along with a slight bittersweet chocolate taste. As you can tell, that cake obviously made an unforgettable impression on me.With the American Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday coming up, we have many special events to get ready for. And this cake is definitely well suited for any special occasion because of its classic appeal, indulgence, yet simplistic charm.The cake itself is soft, dense and very chocolatey. The frosting is sweet with a creamy milky flavor. It’s nutty with the taste of coconut and soft scent of vanilla. This German chocolate cake is perfect for making holiday memories with good friends and family.Print
German Chocolate Cake
This is a classic German Chocolate Cake made with a moist and delicious chocolatey cake and a rich coconut-pecan frosting.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12-16
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 (228g) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250ml) whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cup (100g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (125g) chopped pecans
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9″ round cake pans with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the hot water and stir until the batter is well combined.
- Divide the batter into the prepared baking pans and bake for 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the egg yolks, sugar and evaporated milk. Add butter and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture thickens (about 10-12 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Let cool for 30 minutes before spreading over cake.
Keywords: german chocolate cake recipe, coconut pecan frosting, chocolate layer cake