This is a classic German Chocolate Cake made with a moist and delicious chocolatey cake and a rich coconut-pecan frosting.
- 1 3/4 (228g) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250ml) whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cup (100g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (125g) chopped pecans
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9″ round cake pans with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the hot water and stir until the batter is well combined.
- Divide the batter into the prepared baking pans and bake for 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the egg yolks, sugar and evaporated milk. Add butter and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture thickens (about 10-12 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Let cool for 30 minutes before spreading over cake.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: german chocolate cake recipe, coconut pecan frosting, chocolate layer cake