This toffee candy is chocolaty, crispy and highly addictive! That’s why it’s popularly known as Christmas Crack.
I remember when I first tried this candy. I was a sales rep at the time, selling automotive accessories to car dealerships. The receptionist from Fairview Nissan, Sue, had brought these into the office, and she offered me a piece when I came in for a visit. I was immediately hooked after the first bite. The texture was light and delicate, unlike any other toffee candy I’d had before. Sue was kind enough to share the recipe with me, and she also told me that she makes it every year to give to her friends and family as part of their Christmas gifts.
This wonderful candy is made with just butter, brown sugar, saltine crackers and chocolate – that’s it. Who would have thought to add saltine crackers to toffee, but it’s brilliant. The crackers are what give the toffee its light and delicate texture. To make this toffee, you simply melt the butter and brown sugar together, pour it over the crackers, and bake for 5 minutes. Then you sprinkle some chocolate chips on top, let them melt and spread the chocolate to cover the toffee. Let it cool to harden and break it up into pieces.
You can add additional toppings like nuts and candy. I added some crushed candy canes to half of this batch to make it more festive and give it a peppermint toffee flavor.
You can also just leave it plain and classic. The taste is rich and buttery, sweet and chocolatey. The texture is crispy, and it just crumbles as it melts in your mouth. Add these saltine cracker toffees to your holiday dessert tray and share in the happiness that a good treat can bring.
Christmas Crack (aka saltine cracker toffee)
This cracker candy is crispy and chocolaty with a sweet buttery toffee finish.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: about 40 pieces
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (220g) packed dark brown sugar
- 40 salted saltine crackers (about 1 sleeve)
- 1 pkg (270g-300g) milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- additional toppings like nuts, candy or sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the crackers out on the foil in a single layer and fold up the edges of the foil to box in the crackers. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat on the stovetop. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Immediately pour over the crackers and spread to cover completely.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the oven. Turn off heat. Remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Let stand for 2-4 minutes until the chocolate has melted, then spread evenly over the toffee. If the chocolate is still not warm enough to spread, place it back in the oven for a minute to help melt it.
- Top with any additional topping if desired.
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to harden. Peel away the foil and break into pieces.
You can store this toffee in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You can also place in ziplock bags and freeze for up to 1 month.
Keywords: Christmas crack recipe, Christmas cracker candy, saltine cracker toffee, soda cracker toffee
You might also like my White Chocolate Christmas Crack recipe.