Christmas Crack (aka saltine cracker toffee)
This cracker candy is crispy and chocolaty with a sweet buttery toffee finish.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: about 40 pieces
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (220g) packed dark brown sugar
- 40 salted saltine crackers (about 1 sleeve)
- 1 pkg (270g-300g) milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- additional toppings like nuts, candy or sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil (if using regular foil, spray with non-stick cooking spray for easy removal). Spread the crackers out on the foil in a single layer and fold up the edges of the foil to box in the crackers. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat on the stovetop. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes (set a timer), stirring constantly. Quickly pour over the crackers and spread to cover completely.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the oven. Turn off heat. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Let stand for 2-4 minutes until the chocolate looks shiny and is soft enough spread evenly over the toffee. If the chocolate is still not warm enough to spread after 4 minutes, place it back in the oven for a minute to help soften it.
- Top with any additional toppings if desired.
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to harden. Peel away the foil and break into pieces.
You can store this toffee in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You can also place in ziplock bags and freeze for up to 1 month.
Keywords: Christmas crack recipe, saltine cracker toffee