These are the original Rice Krispies treats we all know and love. They are made extra special dipped in chocolate and topped with sprinkles for more flavor and fun!
I’ll be honest, I had a box of Rice Krispies cereal that had been sitting in the cupboard for awhile, so I thought what better way to use up Rice Krispies than to make Rice Krispies treats. I think it’s just one of the favorites we all remember from when we were a kid. However, I decided to make them extra special with some chocolate and sprinkles. Because hey, everything is more fun and tasty with chocolate and sprinkles, am I right?
Rice Krispies treats were invented back in 1939 by the Kellogg Company, and have been popular ever since. I’d like to say bravo to the two ladies that came up with the idea. Who would have thought cereal and marshmallow would go so well together? Smart, and the recipe couldn’t be any easier. All it is is marshmallow melted with a little bit of butter and Rice Krispies cereal.
There are two options with the chocolate: you can cut the Rice Krispies treats into squares, then dip them into the melted chocolate like I did, or you can spread the melted chocolate onto the treats, then cut them into squares. Whichever is easier for you.
Top it with some sprinkles, sparkling sugar or even bits of candy. Whatever you like and/or whatever you have on hand.
The texture is airy, crispy and chewy. The taste is chocolatey, sweet and of marshmallow cream.These chocolate dipped Rice Krispies treats are perfect for playdates, as a party treat, or for when you just want to feel like a kid again!Print
Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispies Treats
These are the original Rice Krispies treats we all know and love. They are made extra special dipped in chocolate.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: makes 24 squares
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tbsp (43g) butter
- 4 cups (283g) mini marshmallows
- 6 cups (180g) rice krispies cereal
- 1 pkg (270g-300g) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- sprinkles for decorating
- Line and butter a 9×13″ pan with wax paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cereal until well coated. Using a buttered spatula, evenly press the mixture onto the prepared pan. Let cool and cut into 2×2″ squares.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Dip each square into the melted chocolate. Smooth the surface if needed and top with sprinkles. Let stand until the chocolate hardens and enjoy.
Keywords: chocolate dipped rice krispie treats, chocolate rice krispie squares
Recipe adapted from RiceKrispies.com.