This scrumptious and made-from-scratch apple pie recipe is so unbelievably easy to prepare. See how you can make this foolproof flaky pie crust and heavenly apple filling in just over half an hour.
All you need for the pie crust is all-purpose flour, vegetable oil, milk of any kind (dairy or non-dairy), and a little bit of salt. Sift the flour twice, stir everything together, roll out the dough, and you’re done! There is no chilling required, no food-processor or pastry cutter needed. Too good to be true? Just try it and you’ll see.
Click here to see my full post with step-by-step photo instructions on how to make this best-ever flaky pie crust.
Now for the filling. There are many ways you can make an apple pie filling, but all you really need is the following:
Apples – because it’s an apple pie.
Sugar – for sweetness. I went with brown sugar because it has more depth and flavor than white sugar.
Spice – for flavor. I chose cinnamon because it’s my favorite and the most common.
Flour – to thicken the natural fruit juice that is released from the apples while baking (or else it will be like soup when you cut into the pie.)
To put the pie together, just toss the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together, dump it into your pie plate, cover, pinch and crimp the edges together, and bake. Easy as pie, right? (pardon the pun)
Oh, before I forget, you do need to create some air vents to release the steam while baking. So, you can be creative and use cookie cutters to cut out some cute shapes, or use a stencil like I did above before you place the top crust over the top. You can also keep it simple by just cutting some slits once everything is put together, like I did in my Flaky Pie Crust post.
This classic apple pie recipe is homemade goodness at its best. The filling is made of luscious apples baked in a thick and gooey cinnamon brown sugar sauce. The crust is tender and flaky. Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, and savor the moment.
Easy Homemade Apple Pie
This classic apple pie recipe is homemade goodness at its best. The filling is made of luscious apples baked in a thick and gooey cinnamon brown sugar sauce. The crust is tender and flaky.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8-10
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Makes one 9″ pie
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 3/4 cup (155g) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (83ml) milk (any kind, dairy or non-dairy works)
- 8 cups sliced apples (about 6 large apples, approx 2 lbs, cut 1/4″ thick)
- 1/2 cup (115g) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425F and start by preparing the crust.
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a little well.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper.
- Divide into two parts. Roll each part out in between 2 sheets of wax paper to about 11″ in diameter. Fit one onto pie plate. Set aside.
- Toss the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour together. Pour into pie plate.
- Cut some shapes out of top pastry piece (if desired) and place over pie. Press and crimp the edges together. Cut some slits if needed.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375F and bake for another 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling starts to bubble.
- Let cool for 2 hours before serving.
If you want to make this recipe even simpler, feel free to use a store-bought pie crust for when you are short on time, but still want to be a rockstar in the kitchen.
Keywords: apple pie recipe, easy apple pie, best apple pie, apple pie filling, pie crust recipe
You might also like my Easy Apple Crisp, Toffee Apple Pecan Crumble Pie , and Pumpkin Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream. Click here to see all pies and tart recipes.