Nanaimo Cheesecake Bars (video)
This no-bake dessert is made up of a creamy layer of vanilla custard-flavored cheesecake sandwiched between a chocolaty coconut cookie crumb base, and semi-sweet chocolate ganache. It is a cheesecake twist to one of Canada’s best known confections.
To celebrate Canada Day next week, I thought I would share my own spin on one of Canada’s best known desserts: Nanaimo Bars, which originated from Nanaimo, British Columbia back in 1953.
I’ve always enjoyed Nanaimo Bars, but there are times when I find myself scraping out the buttercream filling because I find it too sweet. However, I do love the chocolate topping and the cookie base, so that’s why I decided to switch up the buttercream with a cheesecake filling. I kept all the flavorings the same and pretty much just substituted the butter for cream cheese. Now you get the best of both worlds; the look and flavor of a Nanaimo Bar and the taste of a cheesecake all in one dessert. Whoo hoo! (happy dance)
The taste is of a creamy vanilla custard with a little tang. There is a hint of coconut with a bold chocolate finish. The texture is soft, smooth and crumbly at the same time.
Whether you’re Canadian or not, you’re going to love this layered dessert bar. See how easy it is to whip up this delicious treat.
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine.Print
This no-bake dessert is made up of a creamy layer of vanilla custard-flavored cheesecake sandwiched between a chocolaty coconut cookie crumb base, and semi-sweet chocolate ganache.
- 1 cup (95g) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup (45g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup (35g) finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (75g) melted unsalted butter
- 2 – 250g pkgs of cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp (20g) custard powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) vanilla extract
- 1&1/2 cups (165g) powdered sugar
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125ml) whipping cream
- Line a 9×9″ square baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Toss together the first 5 ingredients, then add in the melted butter and stir until mixture is moist. Press onto prepared baking pan and place in freezer.
- Combine all the filling ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth and spread on top of cookie crust. Place back into freezer.
- Melt the chocolate and whipping cream over a double broiler. Pour overtop of filling. Spread to cover evenly and chill in the refrigerator until chocolate is set. Cut into 12 or 16 pieces.
- Category: dessert
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: Canadian
Keywords: nanaimo bar recipe, nanaimo cheesecake bars
I’ll be sharing this recipe at Fiesta Friday #125.