This is a silky smooth cheesecake topped sky-high with gorgeous red plump cherries. If you are looking for a showstopping dessert – this is it!
Nothing beats a decadent cherry cheesecake. There is just something classic and special about it.
This particular cheesecake recipe is exceptionally smooth and creamy because it’s made mostly with sour cream instead of cream cheese, which makes it unique. It’s also topped with a homemade cherry sauce, instead of canned, which is so much tastier and more satisfying.
Cherries are not in season right now in Ontario, so I used frozen cherries, but I can’t wait to make this again with fresh cherries when the time comes. I used organic sweet dark cherries that I bought from Costco, and it turned out to be absolutely delicious, so I can only imagine how much better and fresher tasting it would be with fresh cherries. I used a pound and a half of cherries in the sauce, which might seem like a lot, but that’s what give this cake its wow factor, so don’t shy away. Dessert is a special treat, so if you are going to do it – do it right.
This cheesecake is perfect for any special occasion. Not only is it beautiful to present, it tastes amazing. Each bite consists of a creamy melt-in-your-mouth custard and juicy cherries bursting with flavor.
Ultimate Cherry Cheesecake
This is a silky smooth cheesecake topped sky-high with gorgeous red plump cherries.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 10-12
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1&1/4 cup (145g) honey graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45g) melted butter
- 2–250g pkg cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups (750g) sour cream (light or full-fat, not fat-free)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 5 cups (1&1/2 lbs) frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 (60ml) cup water
- 1 tbsp (15ml) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5mL) almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Mix the cracker crumbs and melted butter together in a small bowl. Press onto the bottom of a 9″ springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar together. Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between. Blend in the sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Gently pour over crust.
- Bake for 1&1/4 – 1&1/2 hour or until the edges is set and 2-3″ of the center is still wobbly.
- Remove cheesecake from oven and let cool to room temperature before refrigerating for a minimum of 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cherries, sugar and 3 tbsp of the water until heated through. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1 tbsp of water. Stir in the cornstarch and almond extract until sauce thickens. Let cool completely. Spoon over cheesecake before serving.
This cheesecake is best made a day in advance. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
**Mar 31st/16 – I made some changes to the recipe based upon repeat of this cheesecake for better results.
Keywords: cherry cheesecake recipe, best cherry cheesecake, cherry sauce recipe
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living.
Have a great Valentines weekend everyone:)