Pumpkin Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream (video)
Impress your guests this holiday season with this scrumptious homemade pumpkin pie. The filling is rich, creamy, and perfectly spiced. The crust is tender and flaky, and it’s all topped with a delicious caramel flavored whipped cream.
I can’t believe the Canadian Thanksgiving is just around the corner. The weather here is finally cooling down. Not that I don’t enjoy a hot summer, but I do love cozying up in my blanket when I sleep. I also love the change of the season as it turns into Fall. There is just something nostalgic about it. The air becomes cool and crisp as the leaves start to change color. Plus, you can warm up to so many wonderful things like a toasty fireplace, soft blankets, and hot chocolate, just to name a few.
This homemade pumpkin pie recipe starts with a foolproof 4 ingredient flaky pie crust. You just stir all the ingredients together and roll out the pastry dough. The filling is simply canned pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, pumpkin spice and salt. You mix all that together, pour it into the pie crust, and bake for 45 minutes. You can use homemade pumpkin puree if you prefer, just make sure you drain some of the liquid out so it is the same consistency as the canned puree. I like the convenience of the canned pumpkin puree. I also like the convenience of using sweetened condensed milk: that way you don’t have to add any sugar to the filling. Pumpkin spice is great too because it already has the perfect blend of spices for the pie. Then lastly, the fabulous caramel whipped cream is only 3 ingredients: whipping cream, caramel sauce and salt. So the theme of this recipe is definitely easy peasy.
This pie is tender and flaky. The filling is thick and creamy with a sweet pumpkin flavor. There is a beautiful aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in very bite. The topping is light and fluffy with warm toffee notes, and a hint of salt to awaken all your taste buds.
This pumpkin pie is rich, creamy, and perfectly spiced. The crust is tender and flaky, and it’s all topped with a delicious caramel flavored whipped cream.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (62ml) milk (any kind)
- 1 can (15oz) pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp (4g) pumpkin spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg & 1/2 tsp cloves)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1 cup (250ml) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (62ml) caramel sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425F and arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Set aside a 9″ pie plate.
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a well in the center.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together. If the dough seems too dry, add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of wax paper to about 11-12″ in diameter. It should overhang your pie plate about 1 cm.
- Fit the dough onto your pie plate. Fold the excess pastry underneath and crimp the edges.
- Whisk together all the filling ingredients and pour over the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, then turn down the heat to 375F and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cover with foil if the crust starts to brown too quickly. I covered mine during the last 15 minutes.
To prepare the topping
- Beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the caramel and salt until blended. Spread over pie just before serving.
You can prepare the pumpkin pie a day in advance, cover and store at room temperature until ready to serve. The caramel whipped cream should be prepared the day of and stored in the fridge.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin pie recipe, easy pumpkin pie, salted caramel whipped cream