Whole Lemon Pie
Why this recipe is so great:
- It is as easy as can be to prepare. The filling is only 5 ingredients. You basically throw all the ingredients into a blender, pour, and bake.
- You use the whole entire lemon which gives it an amazing lemony flavor.
- The butter in the filling adds richness to balance the acidity of the lemon.
- The eggs act as a thickener and gives this pie a custard-like taste and texture.
- There is no messy zesting or squeezing of the lemon, no pre-baking required, and no waste.
How to make whole lemon pie:
- You start by putting all of your filling ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then you line your pie plate with your pie crust.
- Pour the filling into your pie crust and bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
- Select small to medium lemons. Large lemons usually have a thicker pith (the white part under the peel) which can make your pie bitter.
- Also, look for lemons that are clean and blemish-free on the outside.
- If you can only find lemons that look like they’ve been on steroids, you can use Meyer lemons instead. This recipe does not work with limes.
- As for the pie crust, you can use your favorite recipe or refrigerated store-bought kind like I did for convenience.
- The pie is delicious as is, but you can serve it with a dusting of powdered sugar or if you want to get fancy, serve with some whipped cream and lemon wedges for a pretty presentation.
- Do you serve lemon pie, warm, room temperature or cold? I like to serve it at room temperature or cold. I find it tastier and more refreshing that way.
- Can you make lemon pie ahead of time? Yes, you can make it a few hours to 2 days in advance.
You might also like:
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
This creamy and refreshing lemon pie uses the whole entire lemon (not just the juice and zest) which gives it an ultra lemony flavor. It’s super easy to make and has the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
- 1 lemon small to medium
- 1/2 cup (114g) salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 single pie crust (homemade or refrigerated store-bought kind)
Preheat oven to 350F. Set aside a 9″ pie plate.
Trim the ends off the lemon and cut into thin slices. Remove seeds.
Add the lemon slices, butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Roll out and place your pie crust on your pie plate. Crimp the edges as desired and pour in the filling mixture.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top starts to turn golden and the center is set. You may need to cover the edges of the pie crust with foil if it starts to brown before the pie is done.
Let cool completely before slicing. Best served chilled.
Best served chilled. Leftovers can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon pie recipe, whole lemon pie