These double chocolate muffins are moist and hearty. They have beautiful domed tops, are intense in chocolate flavor, and only take 15 minute to bake!
My kids love Farmer’s Market brand double chocolate muffins. They are like giant chocolate cupcakes without frosting. So to celebrate their first week back to school, I decided to make them my own version. One that doesn’t have sugar as the first ingredient and has no preservatives. A double chocolate muffin that’s just made with simple everyday ingredients and love. I also wanted the muffins to be a little more substantial, so you don’t feel like you’re eating a fluffy cupcake for breakfast.
This recipe begins with flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. I used dutch-processed cocoa powder for a darker and bolder chocolate flavor. I used avocado oil as the main fat in this recipe for a healthier choice. I used just enough sugar to sweeten the batter and to balance the unsweetened cocoa powder. I added milk and sour cream for moisture, eggs for richness, vanilla for flavor, and chocolate chunks for double chocolate fun!
These muffins are satisfying enough for breakfast, yet tasty enough for dessert. They are insanely chocolatey and much better for you than the store-bought kind.Print
Double Chocolate Muffins
These double chocolate muffins are moist and hearty. They have beautiful domed tops, intense in chocolate flavor and only take 15 minute to bake!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dutch-processed)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (130g) sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (175g) semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips, plus more for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate pieces
- Spoon the batter into the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Keywords: double chocolate muffin recipe, double chocolate chip muffins, moist double chocolate muffins