Double Chocolate Muffins
Why this recipe is so great:
- It’s quick and easy. This recipe is just 4 easy steps and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. So in less than half an hour, you can be enjoying a warm melty-chocolate muffin.
- The muffins taste phenomenal. These muffins are soft, moist, fudgy, and loaded with chocolate.
- Store up to 5 days. These muffins are great for the school/work week. Make them Sunday night and you have them for the week to enjoy. They make for an excellent quick breakfast or snack, and are great to pack for lunch.
How to make double chocolate muffins:
- You start by mixing together all the dry ingredients.
- Next, you whisk all the wet ingredients together.
- Combine both and fold in the chocolate.
- Divide the batter evenly into your muffin pan, top with more chocolate, and bake.
- I don’t know about you, but my cocoa powder is always lumpy. There were times when I too lazy to sift and ended up with pockets of dry cocoa powder in my cake. So learn from my mistakes, always sift your cocoa powder if it’s lumpy.
- You can use any kind of dairy or non-dairy milk in this recipe, but whole milk or buttermilk is best. I find it makes the muffins more moist.
- Evenly divide your batter into the muffin cups, that way they will all be done at the same time. Because these muffins are dark in color, it can be difficult to tell when they are done. The best way to check is to lightly press the tops of the muffins and if they spring back, they’re done. You can use the toothpick method, but you have to insert it where there is no chocolate which can be tricky.
- Can you freeze these double chocolate muffins? Yes, they freeze really well and last up to a month in the freezer. Thaw overnight at room temperature. Reheat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds if desired. Do not reheat in the oven, it will dry out.
- Can I use butter instead of vegetable oil? Yes, you can use the same amount of melted butter instead of vegetable oil. Please note, it won’t be as moist.
- What can I substitute for sour cream? You can substitute it with plain regular yogurt, plain Greek yogurt or even mayonnaise.
You might also like:
- Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Bakery-Style Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Raisin Bran Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
These double chocolate muffins are moist and hearty. They have beautiful domed tops, intense in chocolate flavor, and take less than 30 minutes to make!
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (55g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (I used dutch-processed)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (130g) sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (175g) semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips, plus more for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate pieces.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. The muffins can also be frozen for up to a month. Thaw overnight at room temperature. Reheat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds if desired. Do not reheat in the oven, it will dry out.
- Vegetable oil – you can use the same amount of melted butter if you prefer. Please note that it won’t be as moist.
- Sour cream – you can substitute with plain regular yogurt, plain greek yogurt or mayonnaise.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: double chocolate muffin recipe, double chocolate chip muffins, moist double chocolate muffins