Bakery Style Chocolate Chunk Cookies
These jumbo size cookies are crispy around the edges, chewy and fudgy in the center. They are rich and indulgent, and go perfectly with a cold refreshing glass of milk.
This recipe is from my new favorite cookbook, Milk Bar Life by Christina Tosi. I’m a huge fan of MasterChef, and I was so excited when I found out Christina was going to be a judge this year. She is a world-renowned pastry chef, and owner of 8 successful bakeries. Have you ever been to one of the Momofuku Milk Bar locations? They are full of crazy creative and indulgent goodies. How the heck does she stay so thin?!
What drew me to this recipe is how easy it is to make. It is made by hand in one bowl, and there is no chilling required. It makes 1&1/2 dozen cookies, so just enough for you to enjoy with a few lucky friends or family members. But if you decide to keep all the cookies for yourself (because they are that good) I won’t tell.
The recipe uses melted butter and a whole lot of chocolate. I used dark chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips because it is what I had on hand. There is also one unique ingredient in this recipe, and that is nonfat milk powder. According to Christina, it is what give these cookies their chewiness.
These cookies should be called Homemade better than bakery style cookies, because they really are. My husband took one bite and said “why would we ever buy cookies again?” and then he continued to moan as he ate the cookie. Did that sound weird? I hope I didn’t embarrass him by writing that. 🙂
Anyways, you will be amazed by how quickly and easily you can whip up a batch of these cookies. The results are truly better than what you can buy from a bakery. These cookies are perfectly crispy on the outside, rich and chewy on the inside, and loaded with chocolate. You really couldn’t ask for anything more in a cookie.Print
These jumbo size cookies are crispy around the edges, chewy and fudgy in the center.
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, melted and lukewarm.
- 3/4 cup (175g) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (15g) nonfat milk powder
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (3g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) baking soda
- 300g chocolate chunks (I used a dark chocolate bar, roughly chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375F and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown and white sugar until nice and smooth. Add the egg and vanilla. Whisk again until glossy and completely blended.
- Using a sturdy rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix in the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Using a large cookie scoop or a 1/4 cup dry measuring cup, drop the cookie doughs 2 to 3 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges golden brown.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate chunk cookies, bakery style chocolate chip cookies, milk bar chocolate chip cookies
I will also be sharing this at Fiesta Friday#97. Come check out some other fabulous recipes.