No-Bake Key Lime Pie (video)
This easy no-bake key lime pie is cool, creamy and absolutely refreshing. It’s made with fresh key lime juice and lime zest, so the flavor is bright and bold, with just the right amount of tang. This recipe can be made in advance and prepared in under 20 minutes.
Why this recipe is so great:
- There is nothing technical about this recipe and the ingredients are easy to work with. You simply mix, chill and serve.
- Freezing the crust helps hold it all together without having to pre-bake it.
- Using sweetened condensed milk not only reduces the amount of sugar you have to add to the filling, but also firms up the filling without needing gelatin.
- Using both key lime juice and lime zest gives this pie great flavor.
- Beating the whipping cream before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients adds lightness to the texture.
- Here are some reviews:
“Made this for Easter and it was amazing! Everyone raved about it. So easy to make. It was light and refreshing after a big meal. Thank you again for another delicious dessert!” – Linda
“Thank you for sharing this key lime pie recipe. I have tried several but this one is the easiest and THE BEST. The filling has a creamy thickness, the crust is perfect, all around delicious.” – Vicki
How to make no-bake key lime pie:
(the ingredient amounts are listed in the printable recipe card further below)
- You start by mixing some honey graham cracker crumbs with melted butter until all is moistened.
- Press cracker crumb mixture firmly into the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie plate. Place in freezer while preparing the filling.
- Whip some heavy cream until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together a block of cream cheese and some sugar until combined.
- Add in a can of sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, and lime zest. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the whipped cream.
- Mix again until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Smooth the surface and chill uncovered for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Make sure you press the honey graham cracker crumbs as firmly as possible into the pie plate. If you don’t press them in firmly, it will crumble and fall apart when you slice and serve.
- Choose limes and/or key limes that give a little when you squeeze them to make sure they are juicy.
- Only grate the green part of the lime. Don’t grate all the way down to the pith (the white part) which can be bitter.
- Key lime pie is best served chilled (more refreshing and tastier).
- Can you make this recipe in advance? Yes, you can make it from 6 hours to 2 days in advance.
- Does key lime pie need to be refrigerated? Yes because of all the dairy in it.
- Where did key lime pie originate? I always thought this pie was invented in Key West, Florida, hence the name. However, there is a debate about this. Some say it was actually invented by the Borden milk company in New York City to sell more sweetened condensed milk. This mystery dates back to the 1930s, so no one knows for sure. (source: Food & Wine)
You might also like:
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
This easy no-bake key lime pie is cool, creamy and absolutely refreshing.
- 2 cups (250g) honey graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tbsp (90ml) melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) whipping cream
- 1–8oz block cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tbsp (40g) granulated sugar
- 1–10oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) key lime or lime juice (about 14 key limes or 2 limes)
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- Mix together the cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press the mixture firmly into a 9″ pie plate. Chill in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Using the same mixer, beat together the cream cheese and sugar. Mix in the condensed milk, key lime juice, and lime zest. Add in the whipped cream and mix again until smooth.
- Pour over prepared crust and smooth the surface. Chill uncovered in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours or best to let it set overnight.
- Garnish with some more whipped cream and key lime slices if desired.
Leftovers can be covered up and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can make this recipe from 6 hours to 2 days in advance. Cover after the next day.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: key lime pie recipe, easy key lime pie, no-bake key lime pie