These soft and fluffy rhubarb muffins have a crunchy sweet sugar topping and just the right amount of tang. They have a lovely vanilla flavor and they’re loaded with pretty pink chunks of fresh rhubarb.
My awesome neighbor gave me a huge bunch of fresh rhubarb from her garden. I was absolutely thrilled and wanted to make a gorgeous lattice rhubarb pie. The pie turned out to be a total fail. The filling was runny and goopy – I was crushed, but I had enough rhubarb left to make something else, so all was not lost. I decided to try this recipe from Chatelaine. The headline was “We’ve never been more excited to break out the muffin tin.” and since I’m a sucker for good marketing, I decided to give it a go.
The recipe uses melted butter which I prefer these days because it means I don’t have to bring out my electric mixer. Just 2 bowls, a whisk and a spatula is all you need to prepare this recipe. There’s a whole lot of rhubarb in this recipe which means there is a tangy zip in every bite. The only changes I made were upping the vanilla because as lovely as rhubarb is, it has a very mild taste, so you need something to pair and carry the flavor. I increased the sugar by a quarter cup because I didn’t think one cup of sugar was enough to counter balance the amount of rhubarb in the recipe. I also ended up with 14 muffins instead of 12.
The texture is extremely soft and fluffy with a delightful crunchy sugary top. The natural juices from the rhubarb makes these muffins so tender and moist. The taste is tangy and sweet with a warm vanilla scent.
Fresh Rhubarb Muffins
These soft and fluffy rhubarb muffins have a crunchy sweet sugar topping and just the right amount of tang. They’re loaded with chunks of rhubarb and have a soft vanilla fragrance.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 14
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 (285g) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (12g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/4 cup (250g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (275g) chopped rhubarb, cut into 1/2-in. pieces, divided
- 1-2 tbsp coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 2 muffin pans with 14 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Add in wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in 2 cups of the rhubarb.
- Divide batter among the liners. Top with the remaining rhubarb and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Muffins are best the day of. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. Reheat the refrigerated muffins at 350F for 3-4 minutes to refresh them.
Keywords: rhubarb muffin recipe, easy rhubarb muffins, fresh rhubarb muffins