To my disappointment, my rhubarb plant did not come back this year. I must have not given it enough love and attention last summer. However, both of my neighbours on either side of me have healthy rhubarb plants, and they both said I can help myself whenever I want. Yay for great neighbours!
This rhubarb cake starts with my favorite sour cream coffee cake batter. The recipe is actually low in fat because there is only 1/4 cup of butter and 1 egg in it. Yet it still has a buttery-rich taste to it. The sour cream is the magic ingredient that makes the cake so moist and tender.
Then comes the beautifully colored rhubarb which gives the cake a gorgeous pop of pink and red while providing a soft delicate texture and lovely tangy taste. Last but not least is the streusel which gives the cake a crispy finish and sweetness to contrast the tartness of the rhubarb. It also provides a wonderful cinnamon scent that just makes your mouth water.
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8-10
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (115g) full-fat or light sour cream (not fat-free)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (125g) rhubard, chopped into 1/4″ pieces
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30ml) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 8″ or 9″ springform pan. Set aside.
- Toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until combined. Then beat in the egg, followed by the sour cream and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in the flour until just combined. Batter will be thick. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Layer the rhubarb on top.
- To make the streusel: toss together the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add in the melted butter and mix everything together until all is moistened. Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This cake can be stored in an airtight container or wrapped in saran and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Best served the day of or the day after.
Keywords: rhubarb cake, rhubarb recipe, coffee cake