This sweet and tangy strawberry rhubarb filling is packed with fresh summer flavors. It’s all wrapped in a beautiful flaky pie crust and baked to perfection. See how easy it is to make this gorgeous lattice pie.
This recipe starts with 1 lb of fresh strawberries and 1 lb of fresh rhubarb. That makes a whole lot of filling which is the way a good pie should be. There is some sugar added to balance the acidity and tartness of the strawberries and rhubarb. I added some cinnamon and cloves for flavor and depth. Most recipes use cinnamon and nutmeg, or just cinnamon. I happen to like the fragrance of cloves more than nutmeg, so that’s just my personal preference. Feel free to adjust the spices to suit your taste.
Now, here comes the secret to a nice thick filling that is not like soup when you cut into the pie.
Good old all-purpose flour, I ain’t kidding you. I’ve read a lot about tapioca starch being the best thickening agent for pie fillings, but the problem I see here is that most people don’t normally have tapioca starch on hand. Flour is a common pantry item. It’s easy to use and you most likely already have it out to make the pie crust. I’ve also seen cornstarch used in recipes, but why fuss with having to pull out another ingredient. I used 1/2 cup of flour which is just enough to thicken the amount of filling so that you can enjoy the pie the day of, as soon as it cools down, instead of having to wait for the filling to set before you can cut into it.
In the video, you’ll see that I used a store-bought pie crust. I wanted to keep it simple and focus on demonstrating how to weave a perfect lattice. However, feel free to use your favorite pie crust recipe or you can use my super easy, 4-ingredient, no-chilling-required flaky pie crust recipe.
Click here for the full recipe details and step-by-step photo instructions.
This beautiful pie has the perfect combination of strawberries, rhubarb and spice. The taste is fresh, fruity, sweet and tart with a crispy flaky crust to round off a mouthful of heavenly flavors.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE KINDLY LEAVE A COMMENT AND STAR RATING BELOW.Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (video)
This beautiful pie has the perfect combination of strawberries, rhubarb and spice.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-10
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 double pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 1lb (454g) chopped rhubarb
- 1lb (454g) sliced strawberries
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F and position rack to lower third of oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour and spices together.
- In a large bowl, toss together the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar mixture.
- Pour onto a 9″ pie plate fitted with the prepared pie crust.
- Cut the second crust into 1″ strips.
- Place 5 strips across pie. Fold back every other strip and lay another horizontally across the middle.
- Fold back alternate pieces and repeat with 4 other strips.
- Whisk the egg with 1 tbsp of water and brush over the top. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.
- Cool to room temperature. Slice and serve with some vanilla ice cream.
Leftovers can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb pie recipe, easy strawberry rhubarb pie, best strawberry rhubarb pie, strawberry lattice pie recipe