Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This decadent banana cake is supremely moist and loaded with banana flavor. It’s easy to make and topped with a sweet-tangy cream cheese frosting. If you love banana bread then this cake is a perfect treat for you!
I make banana bread regularly for the kids and myself. It makes for a great quick breakfast and/or snack. But on a special occasion or when we have company over, I like to make this banana cake as a treat. The taste is similar to a banana bread, however the cream cheese frosting just elevates the whole dessert and turns it into something outstanding.
Why this recipe is so great:
- The cake is quick and easy to make. There is only 1/4 cup of butter in it but it’s still extremely rich and moist because of the sour cream and mashed bananas.
- There is 1½ cups of bananas in this recipe, which makes it super flavorful.
- The cream cheese frosting makes this everyday banana cake extraordinary. It adds an indulgence to the dessert, which makes it feel special.
How to make banana cake:
- You start by creaming the butter and sugar together.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Then you mix in the bananas and vanilla.
- Lastly, stir in your dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into a greased 9×13″ baking pan. Bake at 350F for about 35-40 minutes and let cool completely before frosting.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until it looks like wet sand for an even mix.
- If you are using a stand mixer, make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl at every step, so you don’t end up with an unevenly mixed batter.
- If you are using an electric mixer to stir in the flour, add it in two parts, so you don’t get flour everywhere. If you are stirring it in by hand, then go ahead and add it in all at once.
- Sift your powdered sugar for a creamy-smooth frosting. Again, if you are using a stand mixer, make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl periodically.
- Finish the cake with some chopped walnuts, chocolate shavings, or banana slices (just before serving). Here’s a great tutorial on how to make chocolate shavings from The Frugal Girls.
- How long does banana cake last? Up to 5 days properly stored. See next question.
- How do your store banana cake? Frosted banana cake should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in saran wrap. Unfrosted banana cake can be stored the same way at room temperature.
- Can you freeze banana cake? Yes, banana cake (unfrosted) freezes really well.
You might also like:
- Best Ever Banana Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Milk Chocolate Buttercream
- Hummingbird Cake
- Bakery Style Banana Nut Muffins
- Banana Cream Pie
This banana cake is soft, dense and moist. The frosting is smooth and creamy. The flavor profile starts with a sweet and tangy taste from the frosting and finishes with a strong banana flavor.
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
This decadent banana cake is supremely moist and loaded with banana flavor. It’s easy to make and topped with a sweet-tangy cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (265g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250g) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (365g) mashed overripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 block (250g) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) salt
- chopped walnuts
- chocolate shavings
- banana slices
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric mixer, cream together the sugar and butter until combined. Mix in the sour cream, then eggs, one at a time, mixing in between.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Then slowly stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until combined.
- Mix in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping the bottom of the bowl occasionally. Then mix in the vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Spread on cake, and top with chopped walnuts, chocolate shavings or banana slices (just before serving) if desired.
Leftovers can be covered up and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze – Tightly wrap in saran wrap, then in foil, label with date, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana cake, cream cheese frosting
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy.