Best Ever Banana Bread (video)
This is the easiest and most delicious banana bread you’ll ever make! It’s moist, loaded with banana flavor, and only takes 10 minutes to prepare. It’s all made by hand and with simple everyday ingredients, just like a good old-fashioned banana bread should be made.
Why this is the best banana bread:
- Just 10 minutes to make. What I love about this recipe is that you can just whip it up in minutes. There is no mixer required. You just mix the wet and dry ingredients separately by hand, then combine, and bake. It’s easy peasy and works every time.
- There are only 8 ingredients in this recipe, yet the taste is phenomenal! This banana bread is perfectly soft, moist, and dense. The flavor profile is sweet and fruity with a hint of vanilla.
- This recipe is very versatile, so you can easily adapt it to suit your own taste. For example, you can use melted butter instead of oil, you can substitute the white sugar for brown, and you can even replace some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat. You can add cinnamon, chocolate chips, desiccated coconut, or chopped nuts. It all turns out delicious.
- Here is what some of my readers have to say:
“Thank you! Loved this recipe! It’s a keeper. I tried many others and always felt I had to keep looking for a better one. Not anymore! Also, I only had 2 medium bananas and it was still very moist and with tons of banana flavor.” – Ellie
“This indeed is the best banana bread I’ve ever tasted. I add a cup of chopped walnuts to this recipe. I have made this recipe multiple times and everyone has absolutely loved it!” – Meghna
“Like you, I have made many banana breads and I have to agree this is the best ever. I made a couple of additions adding cinnamon, mixed spices and coconut. So quick and easy to put together and soooooo delicious. In fact, I am about to make some now.” – Angella
How do you make banana bread:
- First, you toss together your flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Then you mash your bananas with a fork.
- Mix the mashed bananas with your eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Pour the batter into a 9×5″ pan and bake at 325F for about an hour.
- The riper the banana the better. Overripe bananas are ideal for banana bread because they are sweeter and more flavorful. Let your bananas ripen until they’re more brown than yellow. Here’s a post on How to Quickly Ripen Bananas if the bananas sitting on your counter are still too firm to bake with.
- Use a fork to mash. I find using a fork is the best way to mash bananas for banana bread. The consistency when using a fork is nice and thick and there are some small chunks that remain which gives the bread a nice texture.
- Baking at a lower temperature. This recipe calls for baking at 325F instead of the usual 350F which allows the center to cook through without the exterior being overdone.
How to tell when banana bread is done:
Banana bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs, not wet. I also like to lightly press the top-middle of the bread with my index finger to make sure it feels firm and springs back. If it doesn’t spring back, it means the center is still raw.
How to store banana bread:
Banana bread can be tightly wrapped in saran wrap or placed in an airtight container and stored at room temperature in a cool dry place for 3-5 days.
How long does banana bread last?
Depending on the temperature of your house, banana bread can last up to 3-5 days if stored in a cool and dry place. Because banana bread is quite moist, if your house is warm, I would say only up to 3 days. During the winter months when most homes are cooler, I would say up to 5 days.
Does banana bread need to be refrigerated?
Not if you are planning on consuming it quickly. If you are not planning on consuming it within 3-5 days, then store it in the fridge to keep it fresher longer.
Can you freeze banana bread?
Yes, banana bread freezes really well. Tightly double wrap in saran wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil, or instead of using foil place the wrapped loaf in a large freezer ziplock bag. Label and date and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How ripe should bananas be for banana bread?
As I mentioned above in the Expert Tips, the riper the better. As bananas ripen, more of the starch gets converted into sugar and there is more depth in flavor. I like my bananas more brown than yellow for baking.
How to ripen bananas for banana bread:
You can quickly ripen your bananas by heating them up in the oven or microwave. See my post on How to Ripen Bananas for full instructions.
What can I add to banana bread?
You can add chopped fruit, berries, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or chopped nuts. You can swirl in some jam, fruit preserves, Nutella, nut butter, or seed butter. The possibilities are endless. Some of my favorite mix-ins are chocolate chips, Nutella, and walnuts.
Can you eat banana bread for breakfast?
Heck ya! Of course, you can eat banana bread for breakfast. It’s amazing sliced, toasted, and topped with peanut butter. You can also eat it as a snack or dessert. Anything goes!
So the next time you are in the mood for some banana bread, give this recipe a try. You will be delighted to find how easy it is to make and how amazing it tastes. Enjoy and happy baking 🙂
You might also like:
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Homemade Banana Cream Pie
- Salted Caramel Banana Bread
- Bakery Style Banana Nut Muffins
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
This is the easiest and most delicious banana bread you’ll ever make! It’s moist, loaded with banana flavor, and only takes 10 minutes to prepare.
- 1 & 3/4 (220g) cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups (355g) overripe mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Leftovers can be tightly wrapped or stored in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days at room temperature.
Banana bread freezes really well. Tightly double wrap in saran wrap and place in a large freezer ziplock bag. Label and date and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best banana bread, easy banana bread, taste of home banana bread, banana bread with oil
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home. This post was originally published on Dec 21st, 2014 and has been recently updated with more information and step-by-step photo instructions.