This incredible crisp is made with a sweet and tart rhubarb filling and it’s topped with a crunchy oat and brown sugar streusel. It can be served warm or cold, and is great with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream for a summer treat!
I’m just loving rhubarb right now. There is something intriguing about a vegetable that acts like a fruit. What looks like pink celery cooks up delightfully soft and tender with a tangy apple-like flavor.
This recipe starts with over a pound of rhubarb tossed in some sugar for sweetness, flour to thicken and cinnamon for flavor. Then you mix together some flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and melted butter to make the streusel. Sprinkle that over the rhubarb, bake until bubbling, and there you have it – a delicious “fruit” crisp ready to be served.
- 4 cups (500g) rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ chunks
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (45g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare the filling: toss together the rhubarb, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl until all the rhubarb is thoroughly coated. Transfer into an 8×8″ baking dish.
- To prepare the topping: mix together the flour, rolled oats and brown sugar. Pour in the melted butter and mix until all is moistened. Using your hands, break up the streusel into bite-size pieces and sprinkle evenly over top of the filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling.
- Serve warm or cold with some sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
Keywords: rhubarb crisp, rhubarb recipe, rhubarb pie