This fresh pear pie is sweetened with maple syrup and spiced with ginger. The filling is soft and fragrant with a tender-crisp texture. It’s a delicious alternative to the traditional apple pie.
The fall weather is settling in and I couldn’t be happier. I love this time of year because I get to wear soft sweaters and fuzzy boots. It’s also nicer to warm up the house with the smell of baked goods in the oven versus during the summer when you’re trying to escape from the heat.
So I’m celebrating the start of a new season with this pear pie. I’m pairing this classic fall fruit with the flavors of maple and ginger for an ultimate autumn pie.
This recipe begins with 8 cups of fresh pears. I recommend using Bartlett or Anjou pears because they maintain their shape and texture. I added some flour to thicken the fruit juice so you get a nice thick filling that holds together when you slice the pie. Then I added some ground ginger as the main spice to go with the delicate pears. There is a touch of cinnamon to enhance the flavor profile. And lastly, I sweetened the pie with maple syrup instead of granulated sugar for a warmer taste.
For the pie crust, you can use your own favorite recipe, store-bought, or my easy Flaky Pie Crust recipe.
The filling in this pie is silky and succulent. It’s soft and fruity with a delicate pear taste. It has a warm smokey flavor from the maple syrup and a perfect amount of heat from the ginger. The silky and tender filling along with a flaky-rich pastry crust make this a satisfying and heavenly dessert.
Maple Ginger Pear Pie
This delicious pear pie is made with fresh pears, sweetened with maple syrup, spiced with ginger, and wrapped up in a flaky pie crust.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 homemade or store-bought double pie crust
- 8 cups (1kg) fresh pears, peeled and sliced 1/4″ thick (about 8–9 pears) *see notes below
- 1/3 cup (40g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (188ml) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375F and position rack in lower third of oven.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sliced pears, flour, ginger and cinnamon. Pour in the maple syrup and gently toss again to coat. Spoon into a 9″ pie crust lined pie plate.
- Cut the second piece of pie crust into ten 1″ stripes and weave into a lattice. You can also just simply place the pie crust on top and cut a few slits for ventilation. Press and crimp the edges.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Use a pie crust shield if needed to prevent the edges from overbrowning. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
*Ripe, yet firm Bartlett or Anjou pears are best.
Keywords: pear pie recipe, ginger pear pie, maple pear pie