This healthy banana bread is moist, dense and naturally sweet. It’s made with whole wheat flour, extra-virgin olive oil and maple syrup for wholesome goodness, without sacrificing any taste.
How is the beginning of the new year going for everyone? Mine has been a slow start. I think it always is. Maybe I’m sluggish from all the eating during the holidays. Maybe I’m being lazy from all the lounging and sleeping in, and my body is taking its time getting back into a routine. Who knows? Though I have been pretty good eating wise, and this healthy banana bread certainly helps.
This recipe is not that different from your traditional banana bread, except there are a few healthier substitutions. For example, I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour. I used extra-virgin olive oil instead of vegetable oil or butter. I also used maple syrup instead of granulated white sugar, and only half the amount. I made sure my bananas were almost completely brown for the most flavorful and naturally sweet bananas.
The recipe is also pretty straight forward. You simply toss the dry ingredients and whisk all the wet ingredients. Then mix the two together, add in any additional mix-ins, and bake for about an hour.
The texture of this bread is dense like a banana bread should be. It’s also moist with soft crumbs. There is a nutty and hearty flavor from the whole wheat flour that works well with the sweetness and flavor of the ripe bananas. It’s lightly spiced with cinnamon and there’s a hint of caramelized maple sugar which also pairs well with the earthy taste from the whole grain flour.Print
Healthy Banana Bread
This healthy banana bread is moist, dense and naturally sweet. It’s made with whole wheat flour, extra-virgin olive oil and maple syrup for wholesome goodness without sacrificing any taste.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf (about 10-12 slices)
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 & 3/4 cup (200g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ cup (120ml) maple syrup or honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (300g) overripe mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional 1/2 cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins, etc.
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in mix-ins. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords: healthy banana bread, whole wheat banana bread
Recipe slightly adapted from Cookie and Kate.