Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
These easy, no-bake homemade granola bars will have you and your kids absolutely delighted. They taste so much better than the store-bought kind, and they are made with simple ingredients.
My kids love chocolate chip granola bars, but I try not to buy them too often because the box will be empty before I know it. I’m just not comfortable with the amount of sugar and preservatives in them. So with the start of a new year, I thought I would try making my own homemade granola bars. This way I can control and know what’s in them.
This recipe is from Brown Eyed Baker, and what I love about it is that it’s super easy to make. You start by making a simple butter, honey and brown sugar syrup. Mix that with some quick rolled oats and rice cereal. Press the mixture into a pan, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, let cool, and cut into bars.
These chocolate chip granola bars are chewy and perfectly textured with hearty rolled oats and crispy rice cereal. There’s flavors of real brown sugar and honey, and there is just the right amount of chocolate chips in every bite.Print
Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12
These easy no-bake homemade granola bars will have you and your kids absolutely delighted. They tastes so much better than the store-bought kind and are made with simple ingredients.
- 1/3 cup (67g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) honey
- 4 tbsp (57g) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (180g) quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup (30g) crispy rice cereal
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8×8″ baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the quick oats and rice cereal. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar, and honey over medium-high on the stovetop until it begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour the syrup over the dry mixture. Stir together until everything is moistened. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Press down firmly to tightly compact the ingredients.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and lightly press the chocolate chip so they stick to the granola.
- Let cool for 2 hours or until the chocolate chips are set before cutting into bars using a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or individually wrap in plastic wrap.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: snack
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade granola bars, chewy granola bars, chocolate chip granola bars
9 Comments on “Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars”
Thanks!so good! I made it this morning for my grandkids.also since I’m allergic to nuts, ,perfect.
if I wanted to make these into a peanut butter/ chocolate chip version ( to add more protein) what what i do differently? thank you
You could add 1/4 cup of peanut butter along with the vanilla to make it a PB and chocolate chip version. Enjoy and happy Sunday!
Love this recipe, taste absolutely amazing . Thank you for sharing .
You’re very welcome, Komel. Thank you for your kind words. Enjoy and stay safe!
These taste great and are easy to make…BUT mine fell apart. What could I do differently? Less butter?
Press the mixture more firmly next time to tightly compact all the ingredients so it holds together. The same thing happened to me the first time I made this, so the used my muscles the second time around and it worked, lol.
Great recipe, not sure how they will go once they are out of the fridge in our heat (Australia). I used wheat flakes instead of puffed rice, as I had none, and they are really lovely. Thanks Peta.
You’re very welcome, Peta! Thank you for your kind feedback. Perhaps keep them in the fridge if it’s too hot in your kitchen. Enjoy and have a great day!