These blueberry muffins are soft, fluffy, and full of juicy blueberry goodness. They’re finished with a sweet and crunchy cinnamon streusel on a super high muffin top. With hundreds of rave reviews, these blueberry muffins are guaranteed to be your new favorite!
This post was originally published on Feb 13th, 2015 and has been recently updated with more information and step-by-step photo instructions.
I have received a few requests for a blueberry version of my Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins, so here it is: A buttery and moist blueberry muffin that is just as gorgeous and delicious as the ones you find at the fancy bakery shops.
Why this recipe is so great:
- Super easy to make. This recipe is all made by hand. All you do is mix, bake, and it’s done.
- Moist with a sky-high muffin top. The best part of any muffin is the muffin top. I just love how crispy it is on the outside and soft it is on the inside, so a good muffin needs to have a large muffin top. Being moist is another key to a good muffin because who wants a dry muffin, that just ruins everything.
- Soft and fluffy, but not like a cupcake, so these muffins make for an excellent breakfast or snack.
- Perfect crumb topping. These blueberry muffins are finished with a lovely cinnamon-sugar streusel for crunch and texture which makes the muffin tops even better. Feel free to double the amount of crumb topping if you love streusel.
- A fan favorite with hundreds of rave reviews. Here is what some of my readers have to say:
“Lily! These are the BEST muffins I have ever made! I use a lot of your recipes, but this muffin recipe was indescribable! The buttermilk is key. I made my own milk with vinegar and I sincerely believe these are the best muffins ever to leave this kitchen! Readers have to try this recipe…D-LICIOUS! I cannot wait until you release a book!” – Holly
“This is the best blueberry muffin recipe I have found, big fluffy muffin tops and incredibly crunchy streusel. A+” – Melissa
“I’ve made dozens of blueberry muffin recipes, and these are the absolute best, hands down! Better than a bakery muffin.” – Kami
How to make blueberry streusel muffins:
- You start by mixing some sugar, flour, and cinnamon for the crumb topping. Set aside.
- Then toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Next, whisk together the melted butter with the granulated sugar to make a slurry in a separate bowl.
- Add in the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk again.
- Mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together. Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the muffin batter into a standard-size muffin tin. Sprinkle the streusel on top and bake for 20 minutes.
- First, melt your butter in the microwave before you start gathering the rest of your ingredients, preheat your oven, and prepare your baking pan. This way the butter can cool in the meantime.
- Grease the entire pan including the rim with butter or non-stick cooking spray for easy removal. Because these muffins rise over the rim it’s important to grease the entire pan so it doesn’t stick.
- Use a large rubber spatula to combine the wet and dry ingredients. A rubber spatula is great for stirring and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl for an evenly combined batter without over-mixing.
- Add the blueberries just before the batter is fully incorporated. This way, everything comes together at the same time and again, you will avoid over-mixing. The less you mix, the softer the texture.
- Fill your muffin pan all the way to the top (see photo 6) and you will see how high these muffins rise over. So what you get is not just any muffin top, but a sky-high muffin top.
- How to melt the butter for this recipe. The best way is to place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds in 15-second increments. Then let it cool while you prepare the rest of your ingredients and baking pan.
- How to store blueberry streusel muffins. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Please note that the streusel will lose its crispiness after a day from all the moisture in the muffin. You can reheat in a toaster oven or conventional oven at 350F for 10 minutes to warm and crisp up the muffins.
- Can I use frozen blueberries? Yes, you can use frozen blueberries. Use them straight out of the freezer, do not thaw. Bake for a few extra minutes. Here’s a great trick for preventing your batter from turning entirely purple from the frozen blueberries: Baking with Frozen Blueberries by Veggie Balance.
- How to freeze blueberry muffins. Once the muffins are completely cooled, wrap securely in foil or saran wrap and place in freezer bags. Label and date, and store in the freezer for up to a month.
You might also like:
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Bakery Style Banana Nut Muffins
- The Best and Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Homemade Blueberry Pie
- Blueberry Banana Bread
The texture of the muffin is delicate, but not as light as a cupcake, therefore it’s hearty enough for breakfast. The taste is rich, moist and fruity. The scent is buttery, with vanilla and just a subtle note of cinnamon. The streusel topping is crunchy and sweet. These are truly the perfect blueberry muffins.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE KINDLY LEAVE A COMMENT AND STAR RATING BELOW.Print
Bakery Style Blueberry Streusel Muffins
These blueberry muffins are soft, fluffy, and full of juicy blueberry goodness. They’re finished with a sweet crunchy cinnamon streusel on a super high muffin top.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 & 1/2 cups (310g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (13g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk (any kind, whole or buttermilk is best)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups (230g) blueberries
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (8g) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10ml) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Grease an entire standard-size muffin pan (including the rim) with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- To prepare the streusel; mix together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir in the butter, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Mix again.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir using a rubber spatula until almost combined. Fold in the blueberries until just combined.
- Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups, top with streusel and bake for 5 minutes at 425F, then keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the heat to 375F and bake for another 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on the countertop for 10 minutes. Carefully remove and transfer to wire rack.
- How to melt the butter for this recipe. The best way is to place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat it in the microwave for 30-60 sections in 15-second increments. Then let it cool while you prepare the rest of your ingredients and baking pan.
- How to store blueberry streusel muffins. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Please note that the streusel will lose its crispiness after a day from all the moisture in the muffin. You can reheat in a toaster oven or conventional oven at 350F for 10 minutes to warm and freshen up the muffins.
- Can I use frozen blueberries? Yes, you can use frozen blueberries. Use them straight out of the freezer, do not thaw. Bake for a few extra minutes.
- Can blueberry streusel muffins be frozen? Yes, once the muffins are completely cooled, wrap securely in foil or saran wrap and place in freezer bags. Label and date, and store in the freezer for up to a month.
- Can I use paper liners? Yes, you can use paper liners. Just remember to grease the rims for easy removal.
Keywords: blueberry muffin recipe, blueberry streusel muffins, blueberry muffins with crumb topping