This incredibly moist pumpkin bread is made without any butter or oil. It is soft, not too sweet, and packed with pumpkin flavor and spice.
Tomorrow is the first day of Autumn, so I thought this spiced pumpkin bread would be fitting for the occasion, even though we are still experiencing summer weather here in Ontario. The retail stores are in full gear for Fall and all the food chains are serving pumpkin spice everything.
The texture is this bread is soft, spongy, and super moist for something made without any butter or oil. The secret is the Greek yogurt in this recipe, and the pumpkin puree also contributes to the softness of the bread. It is full of pumpkin flavor, and warm notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. It’s a lovely and very fragrant pumpkin bread that is not too sweet.
- 1&1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 2 tsp (4g) pumpkin spice (or 1tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg & ½ tsp cloves)
- pinch of salt
- 1&1/2 cups (300g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (123g) Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup (243g) canned pure pumpkin
- ½ cup (50g) chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9x5" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, yogurt and pumpkin.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with chopped walnuts if desired.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.