This homemade strawberry shortcake recipe consists of a golden flaky biscuit piled high with macerated strawberries and sweetened whipped cream. This charming little treat is so simple to make, yet elegant to serve, which makes it a perfect finish to any meal.
With Mother’s Day coming up, the first thing that comes to my mind is classic strawberry shortcake. It’s perfectly suited for brunch or served with your afternoon tea. It’s also feminine and pretty, just like mom.
This dessert starts with a simple drop biscuit recipe. You just mix everything together in one bowl and drop the batter onto your baking sheet. There is no kneading or patting, rolling or cutting; you just simply drop and bake. Then you slice up a pint of strawberries, toss them with some sugar, and let that marinate for about 30 minutes. Whip up some heavy cream, sugar, and a splash of vanilla, and there you have it! Everything you need to put together this easy, yet extraordinary treat.
The biscuits are nice and crispy on the outside, and warm and soft on the inside. There is a little lemon zest added for depth and a fresh vibrant taste. The strawberries are sweet and juicy, and the flavor is enhanced by macerating them to bring out their natural juices. The whipped cream is soft, rich and sweet. Put all that together and each mouthful is satisfying and scrumptious.Print
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
This homemade strawberry shortcake recipe consists of a golden flaky biscuit piled high with macerated strawberries and sweetened whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (38g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15g) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (57g) cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the macerated strawberries:
- 1 pint (454g) strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp (25g) granulated sugar
For the sweetened whipped cream:
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the lemon zest and gradually stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into eight mounds onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the biscuits are in the oven, stir together strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until juices are released, at least 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Split biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon on some strawberries, a dollop of whipped cream, top with the other biscuit half. Garnish with more whipped cream and a strawberry if desired.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake recipe, easy strawberry shortcake, homemade strawberry shortcake
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.