BEST Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
This homemade strawberry shortcake recipe consists of a golden flaky biscuit piled high with macerated strawberries and sweetened whipped cream.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (38g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15g) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (57g) cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (250ml) cold milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the macerated strawberries:
- 1 pint (454g) strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp (25g) granulated sugar
For the sweetened whipped cream:
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk in the lemon zest. Add in the milk and stir until just combined.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into eight mounds onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the biscuits are in the oven, stir together strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until juices are released, at least 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Split biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon on some strawberries, a dollop of whipped cream, top with the other biscuit half. Garnish with more whipped cream and a strawberry if desired.
- Use cold butter. Cold butter creates steam as it melts in a hot oven. The steam from the melting butter expands between the layers of dough. This creates pockets of air, yielding a soft and fluffy biscuit.
- Use salted butter to save the extra step of having to add salt to this recipe.
- Use cold milk to help keep the butter solid in the batter.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together quickly. As soon as you add the milk, the baking powder starts to activate, so stir the batter together gently but quickly and bake right away.
Leftover biscuits can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. The macerated strawberries and whipped cream can be stored covered up in the fridge for 2 days. Beat the whipped cream again for a few seconds before serving.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake recipe, easy strawberry shortcake, homemade strawberry shortcake