This homemade strawberry shortcake recipe consists of a golden flaky biscuit piled high with macerated strawberries and sweetened whipped cream.
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (38g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15g) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (57g) cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (250ml) cold milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the macerated strawberries:
- 1 pint (454g) strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp (25g) granulated sugar
For the sweetened whipped cream:
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk in the lemon zest. Add in the milk and stir until just combined.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into eight mounds onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the biscuits are in the oven, stir together strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until juices are released, at least 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Split biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon on some strawberries, a dollop of whipped cream, top with the other biscuit half. Garnish with more whipped cream and a strawberry if desired.
Leftover biscuits can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. The macerated strawberries and whipped cream can be stored covered up in the fridge for 2 days. Beat the whipped cream again for a few seconds before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry shortcake recipe, easy strawberry shortcake, homemade strawberry shortcake