Homemade Pancake Mix
This homemade pancake mix makes the tastiest fluffy pancakes in a matter of minutes. All you have to do is add water. So keep this convenient mix on hand for a quick and easy pancake breakfast any day of the week!
Why this recipe is so great:
- Just add water – When you have a hankering for pancakes, all you have to do is add water to this pancake mix. You don’t need to add any eggs or milk because there is already milk powder in the mix.
- Tall and fluffy – These pancakes cook up nice and tall and perfectly fluffy. They’re also perfect for adding your favorite mix-ins like chocolate chips or blueberries.
- Keeps for 3 months – This recipe makes enough pancake mix for about 5 batches of pancakes and keeps for 3 months when stored in a dry cool place in an airtight container.
How to make homemade pancake mix:
All you need is all-purpose flour, milk powder, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix it all up in a large mixing bowl, transfer the mixture into a large airtight container, and store it in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
Substitutions and variations:
- All-purpose flour – Can be substituted with whole wheat pastry flour. However, there will be a slightly nutty taste from the whole wheat flour and the texture won’t be as fluffy. It’s best to only substitute half of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
- Milk powder – Milk powder adds richness and flavor to the pancakes but can easily be omitted from the mix and replaced by using milk instead of water when you make the pancakes. You can also use any kind of plant-based milk for a vegan option.
- Add-ins – Add 1/2 a cup to 1 cup of your favorite berries, chopped fruit, or chocolate chips to your pancake batter for more fun!
- Savory pancakes – You can also use this mix to make savory pancakes by adding mix-ins like crumbled bacon, grated cheese, and diced veggies to change things up.
Is it cheaper to make your own pancake mix?
It depends on the recipe, though in most cases, it’s very close in cost. But homemade is better for you and tastier than boxed mixes.
How do you make pancakes from scratch without milk and eggs?
You can make basic pancakes with simply flour, sugar, baking powder and/or soda, salt, and water. However, the milk and eggs add moisture and richness, leading to much tastier pancakes.
What do eggs do in pancakes?
Eggs add rise and structure. The fat from eggs adds richness and flavor.
Is it better to add milk or water to pancake mix?
If the mix already has dry milk powder in it, then simply add water. If it does not, then it’s better to add milk.
What makes pancakes more fluffy?
Leavening agents and eggs provide the rise for pancakes, making them more fluffy.
Is it better to make pancakes with butter or oil?
It’s much better to make pancakes with butter because it provides better flavor and the crispy edges we all love.
You might also like:
- Easy Bread Pudding
- Breakfast Hand Pies
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Scones
- Old-Fashioned Donuts
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
This homemade pancake mix makes the tastiest fluffy pancakes in a matter of minutes. All you have to do is add water!
Dry Pancake Mix
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dry milk powder (see notes*)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
To Make Pancakes
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- butter or oil for greasing
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Transfer the mix to an airtight container. Label and store in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.
Preheat and lightly grease a griddle or pan over medium-high heat.
Whisk together 1 cup of dry mix with 3/4 cup water.
Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto prepared griddle or pan. Let pancakes cook until bubbles form and golden brown on the bottom before flipping. Flip and cook other side until golden brown. Serve hot with syrup. Makes about 5 pancakes.
Tip: Add an egg to the batter for extra flavor, richness, and even fluffier pancakes.
*Milk powder adds richness and flavor to the pancakes but can easily be omitted from the mix and replaced by using milk instead of water when you make the pancakes. You can also use any kind of plant-based milk for a vegan option.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: pan fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade pancake mix recipe