This moist and delicious banana bread is packed with flavor and goodness. It’s made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil and is dairy-free.Healthy baking is a challenge for me as I’m used to baking with conventional ingredients like all-purpose flour, granulated sugar and butter. Also, a lot of the times, it’s the unhealthy ingredients that give a recipe all of its wonderful taste and texture. So, I was pretty stoked when I finally got this recipe to work. Healthy is one thing, but the most important thing for me when it comes to recipe development is that it has to look, feel, and taste good.
This recipe starts with whole wheat flour instead of white all-purpose flour, coconut oil instead of butter, and coconut sugar instead of granulated sugar, which are all healthier alternatives. There is a ton of fruit in this recipe. The mashed bananas create softness in the texture, moisture and flavor in the bread. The apples release natural juices when baked and add even more moisture and flavor to this delicious banana bread. So, you get all the taste and desired texture of a traditional banana bread, but with much healthier ingredients in this recipe.
See how easy it is to make this healthy apple cinnamon bread in this short and sweet video.
Healthy Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread
This moist and delicious banana bread is packed with flavor and goodness. It’s made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil and is dairy-free.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 - 9x5" loaf
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1&3/4 cups (180g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp (5g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (2g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (3g) sea salt
- 4 tbsp (60ml) melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (70g) coconut sugar (or lightly packed brown sugar)
- 1&1/2 cups overripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1&1/2 cups (175g) finely diced apples (about 2 small apples)
- 1 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9×5 glass baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir the coconut oil and sugar together. Add the mashed bananas, egg, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk all together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until it just comes together.
- In a small bowl, toss the 1 tbsp of flour with the apples to coat. Fold into the batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the middle surface springs back when gently pressed.
Keywords: apple banana bread recipe, healthy banana bread, whole wheat banana bread
I’ll be sharing this at Fiesta Friday #116. Come join the fun and check out some other great recipes.