A light and fluffy chocolate cake filled with a tangy whipped cream filling and juicy black cherries, topped with more whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. It’s a quick and easy version of the traditional Black Forest Cake.
I have made this cake so many times over the years for birthdays and holiday get-together. It’s my go-to cake recipe when I am short on time, but need a delicious dessert that is sure to impress.
What I love about this recipe is that it is so easy to make. Basically, all you need is one chocolate cake mix, one can of pitted cherries, one package of cream cheese, and one carton of whipping cream, so just 4 basic grocery items. You simply bake the cake as instructed, make the whipped cream filling, open the can of cherries, and assemble. It doesn’t get any easier than that. The result is a moist chocolatey cake with a rich, creamy filling and juicy black cherries.
For this recipe, I used a whipped cream and cream cheese filling. I like the tangy flavor the cream cheese adds to the whipped cream; it makes it sturdier too. But if you prefer, you could also use just a simple whipped cream.
Easy Black Forest Cake
A light and fluffy chocolate cake filled with a tangy whipped cream filling and juicy black cherries, topped with more whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10-12
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pkg of chocolate cake mix (I used devils food chocolate)
- 1 can of pitted black cherries (drained well)
- 1-250 gram pkg of cream cheese
- 1-473ml cartoon of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
- chocolate sprinkles or curls (optional)
- Bake cake as instructed for two 8 inch or 9 inch rounds. Let cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add half the whipping cream and whip for a minute or so until it just starts to thicken. Add the rest of the whipping cream and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread about one quarter of the whipped cream on one of the cakes. Spoon the cherries on top and spread another quarter of the whipped cream on top of the cherries. Layer the second cake on and top with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate with chocolate sprinkle or curls if desired.
Keywords: black forest cake recipe, easy black forest cake, whipped cream frosting