This decadent black forest cake consists of alternating layers of moist chocolate cake and heavenly whipped cream. The cake is soaked in cherry liqueur and filled with juicy black cherries in the middle.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients required on the box)
- 1/4 cup cherry liqueur (optional)
- 1 can pitted black cherries (drained well)
- 1–250 gram pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1–473ml carton whipping cream, cold
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
- maraschino cherries (optional)
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- Bake cake as instructed for two 9 inch rounds. Let cool completely. Trim cake domes if necessary for a flat surface. Lightly brush with cherry liqueur (if using ) as you’re assembling the cake.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add half the whipping cream and whip for a minute or so until it just starts to thicken. Add the rest of the whipping cream and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread about one-quarter of the whipped cream on one of the cakes. Spoon the cherries on top and spread another quarter of the whipped cream on top of the cherries. Carefully layer the second cake on and top with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate with chocolate sprinkle or curls if desired.
For piped edges: Transfer half of the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a tip of your choice. Pipe along the edges of the first cake, spread some whipped cream onto the center, spoon the cherries on top, and spread more whipped cream on top of the cherries. Repeat with the top layer and finish with some maraschino cherries and chocolate shavings if desired.
Chilling the assembled cake for 30 minutes will make it easier to slice and serve.
Leftovers can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black forest cake recipe, easy black forest cake, whipped cream frosting