Black Sesame Shortbread Cookies
Celebrate Chinese New Year with these toasty buttery cookies. The distinct flavor of roasted black sesame seeds and rich-buttery shortbread make these cookies absolutely sensational! #SweetLunarNewYear
In the Chinese culture, we believe that sweet treats symbolize a sweet life. Therefore, no New Year’s celebration would be complete without dessert. As a kid, I remember Chinese New Year as a time with family, lots of food, and red envelopes with lucky money. As an adult, Chinese New Year is another fresh start. It’s a time to reminisce and really think about my goals for health and happiness for my family.
I just adore the simplicity of this recipe. It’s just butter, sugar, salt, flour and sesame seeds. Mix it all together, roll it out, and bake. No fuss, no drama, kind of like the way a new year should start.
These cookies are thin, crispy and have a crumbly texture that melts in your mouth. The taste is buttery and perfectly sweet with a lovely nutty aroma.
Join me and 26 other amazing bloggers in bringing in the Lunar New Year with these fabulous sweet desserts. #SweetLunarNewYear Link Party:
Snow Fungus Soup by Vermilion Roots
Indonesian Honeycomb Cake (Bingka Ambon) by What To Cook Today
Chinese Peanut Cookies by Wok & Skillet
Vietnamese Steamed Rice Cakes by A Taste of Joy and Love
Gluten-Free Chinese Almond Cookies by Grits & Chopsticks
Ice Cream Mooncakes by Brunch-n-Bites
Coconut Red Bean Pudding by The Missing Lokness
Korean Caramelized Sweet Potatoes (Goguma Mattang) by What Great Grandma Ate
Cashew Nut Cookies by Anncoo Journal
One Bite Pine Nut Cookies by Yummy Workshop
Baked Coconut Walnut Sticky Rice Cake by Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Black Sesame Cream Puffs by Pink Wings
Cashew Nut Cookies by Roti n Rice
Mini Peanut Puffs (Kok Chai) by Malaysian Chinese Kitchen
Thousand Layer Cake (Lapis Legit) by Daily Cooking Quest
Pineapple Cookies (Nastar) by V for Veggy
Almond Orange Spiral Cookies by Butter & Type
Three Color Dessert (Che Ba Mau) by The Viet Vegan
Year of the Rooster Mochi by Thirsty for Tea
Korean Tea Cookies (Dasik) by Kimchimari
Sweet Sticky Nian Gao (Kuih Bakul) by Lisa’s Lemony Kitchen
Sweet Rice Balls with Peanut Butter (Tang Yuan) by Omnivore’s Cookbook
Candied Ginger (Mut Gung) by Plant Crush
Chick Egg Tarts by Dessert Girl
Red Bean Soup with Black Glutinous Rice by Nut Free Wok
Orange Scented Sweet Red Bean by Lime and Cilantro
I wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!Print
The distinct flavor of roasted black sesame seeds and rich-buttery shortbread make these cookies absolutely sensational!
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) roasted black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and salt.
- Add in the flour and continue to mix until the dough just starts to form. Mix in the sesame seeds until combined.
- Dust your rolling pin and countertop with powdered sugar. Roll out the dough to about 1/2cm thick. Use a 3cm round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies and place a dozen cookies on each baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American, Chinese
Keywords: black sesame shortbread cookie recipe, black sesame cookies, easy shortbread cookies
Recipe adapted from The Comfort of Cooking.