Black Sesame Shortbread Cookies
Celebrate Chinese New Year with these toasty buttery cookies. The distinct flavor of roasted black sesame seeds and rich-buttery shortbread make these cookies absolutely sensational!
In Chinese culture, we believe that sweet treats symbolize a sweet life. Therefore, no New Year’s celebration would be complete without dessert. As a kid, I remember Chinese New Year as a time with family, lots of food, and red envelopes with lucky money. As an adult, Chinese New Year is another fresh start. It’s a time to reminisce and really think about my goals for health and happiness for my family.
I just adore the simplicity of this recipe. It’s just butter, sugar, salt, flour, and sesame seeds. Mix it all together, roll it out, and bake. No fuss, no drama, kind of like the way a new year should start.
These cookies are thin, crispy, and have a crumbly texture that melts in your mouth. The taste is buttery and perfectly sweet with a lovely nutty aroma.
I wish everyone a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!Print
The distinct flavor of roasted black sesame seeds and rich-buttery shortbread make these cookies absolutely sensational!
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) roasted black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and salt.
- Add in the flour and continue to mix until the dough just starts to form. Mix in the sesame seeds until combined.
- Dust your rolling pin and countertop with powdered sugar. Roll out the dough to about 1/4″ thick. Use a 3″ round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies and place a dozen cookies on each baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
Keywords: black sesame shortbread cookie recipe, black sesame cookies, easy shortbread cookies
Recipe adapted from The Comfort of Cooking.