Easy Fresh Strawberry Cake (video)
This simple tasty cake is bursting with strawberry flavor in every bite and is super easy to make. All it takes is 4 ingredients and 15 minutes to prepare.
With strawberry season coming up, there is no better way to enjoy strawberries than in this delicious dessert. There are large chunks of strawberries in every bite of this soft and fragrant yellow cake. It’s also not too sweet, which makes it a great everyday treat.
Why this recipe is so great:
- It’s all about the strawberries. There are so many strawberries in this cake, a whole pound to be exact, which is what makes it so fabulous. The star of the show is the fruit and the cake is secondary.
- This made-from-scratch recipe is easy as can be. All you need is 4 ingredients and 15 minutes of prep time. The cake is delicious and loaded with fruit.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla extract (optional
How to make fresh strawberry cake:
(the ingredient amounts are listed in the printable recipe card further below)
- You start by combining the sugar, eggs, and vanilla (if using).
- Beat for about 3 minutes until pale.
- Sift in the flour.
- Gently mix until combined.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Spoon the batter into a greased 9″ round baking dish. Top with a few more strawberries and bake for 30 minutes.
- Use room temperature eggs. Room temperature eggs whip up and rise more easily, which is especially important in this recipe.
- Beat your eggs and sugar well. Because there are no leavening agents in this recipe, make sure you take the time to beat your eggs and sugar very well to incorporate as much air as possible. This is what gives the cake its structure.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour. You want to be gentle when mixing in the flour, so you don’t deflate all the air that was incorporated into the batter while beating your eggs. For best results, use a rubber spatula and an over-and-under motion to mix.
- Can you make this strawberry cake in advance? It’s best to make this cake the day of. Because of the large amount of fruit in it, the cake tends to get soggy the next day.
- How do you store leftover fresh strawberry cake? You can store this cake covered up at room temperature for a day or in the fridge for up to 2 days. But again, it’s best to enjoy this cake fresh the day of.
You might also like:
- Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Nutella Stuffed Strawberry Muffins
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
This cake’s texture is similar to a coffee cake, and it’s even better served with a side of whipped cream. It’s loaded with chunks of delicious and juicy ripe strawberries, which is the predominant flavor. This cake is truly effortless to make and delightful to eat.
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
Easy Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8-10
This simple tasty cake is bursting with strawberry flavor in every bite and is super easy to make.
- 6 oz (~3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 oz (~1&1/3 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1lb fresh strawberries, cut in half or quartered depending on size (reserve a few half pieces for topping)
- whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 9″ round cake pan or pie plate.
- Beat the eggs and sugar (and vanilla if desired) using an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes (or until pale in color)
- Using a rubber spatula, gently stir in the sifted flour just until the batter is combined and smooth.
- Fold in the strawberries and spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan. Top with a few strawberry halves.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400F. Then lower the temp to 350F and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool to just warm or room temperature. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
This cake is best enjoyed fresh the day of. Because of the natural juices from the strawberries, the cake tends to get soggy the day after.
You can cover and store this cake at room temperature for a day or in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry cake recipe, easy strawberry cake, french strawberry cake
Recipe inspiration from Laylita.com
46 Comments on “Easy Fresh Strawberry Cake (video)”
OMG! Wonderful cake 😍❤️ Looks yummy and good 😋👍 can I use frozen strawberries 🍓 instead?
Yes, you can! Just use straight from frozen, do not thaw, and remember to extend the baking time. I hope you enjoy the cake!
Superb light and very tasty cake . Very easy recipe to follow
The strawberries were super sweet.
Thank you for your kind words, Karen! I’m glad you liked the cake:)
Hi Lily I am new to your site,but this cake really looks good. The only think I need to ask you is,You stated 6oz sugar ( 3/4 c ) and then down below you said 6oz flour ( 1 & 1/3 C ) is there a reason for the difference in sugar and flour? Please e-mail me the answer I so much want to make this cake. Thank You Linda
Sugar is heavier than flour in weight, that’s why there is a difference in volume. I hope that helps and please feel free to email me back if you have any other questions. Enjoy the cake!
This looks great.
Can use cherries in this cake instead of
Please let me know. By e-mailing me at
Yes, you can substitute with fresh cherries, and maybe a touch of almond extract as well. Will send email too!
I baked this cake for my mom’s family over the weekend and they kept on asking me for the recipe. I sent them the link to your blog! Thank you for sharing!
Lily, Thank you for this recipe, I will definitely be making this again. I needed to use my not so sweet strawberries, I came across your cake and thought this is just right, only four ingredients and 30 minutes, directions were perfect, I used almond extract for a little flavor burst, added a little almond glaze after it cooled and some slivered almonds. Absolutely Delicious and Beautiful! If your favorite dessert is strawberry shortcake this will be something you will like. Shared this with my work family and it was a big hit.
You’re very welcome Cathy, and thank you for your kind words. Love the idea of adding some almond glaze for a little extra sweetness and slivered almonds for crunch. I’m definitely going to do that next time I make this cake. Thanks for sharing:)
This looks perfect! I love that you loaded strawberries into it 🙂 It’s a wonderful way to welcome in Spring 🙂
What a beautiful cake, it looks like it is bursting with moisture!
This looks so good, Lily! I love strawberries and I’ve never tried a cake like this before! Shame on me 😉 Pinned for later!
This is a beautiful cake that looks so fresh and delicioius. I love that it isn’t huge too.
Lily this cake is beautiful. It is absolutely perfect. So light and fluffy and filled with fresh fruit.
You make it look way too easy to bake a cake! Strawberries are delicious and even better baked! Delicious! Happy Fiesta Friday!
Oh my goodness! This cake is the perfect way to celebrate our sweet winter strawberries! I just love that the cake itself is so simple that it allows the strawberries to shine 🙂
I can’t wait to make this soon!
Thanks Amy, I always love it when you stop by, hugs:)
Love this simple and refreshing cake using seasonal fruit. It looks so light and airy.
Simply elegant! This looks perfect with my afternoon tea. 😀
This looks so easy to make and your cake looks so fluffy inside. I’m a convert! 🙂 #FiestaFriday
Thanks Ann and from one sleep deprived mom to another, nice to meet you:)
Simple – strawberry – cake – I love it. The more berries the better and it doesn’t take long to make. Perfect dessert for the hot days of summer Lily/ Thanks for sharing with Fiesta Friday 🙂
You’re welcome and thank you for co-hosting:)
This looks like a perfect cake for summer!
You’re welcome, hugs:)
This looks so easy and delicious! And thanks so much for the video!
This is a summer must have dessert!! 😉
You’re welcome Amy and have a lovely day:)
Gosh you’re right; it DOES look so moist and bursting with flavor! All those beautiful strawberries; this would be a wonderful dessert to have in the summer topped with fresh whipped cream. Beautiful Lily 🙂
Thanks Jess xx:)