Homemade Pumpkin Spice Donuts
These made-from-scratch baked pumpkin donuts are soft, moist and fluffy with a delightful cinnamon-sugar coating. They have that wonderful pumpkin spice flavor we all know and love.I’ve been dreaming about Tim Horton’s pumpkin spice donuts since the beginning of fall. So when I found out they discontinued them I was crushed. My beloved pumpkin spice donut was replaced by a pumpkin spice muffin. What the? How could they?
Good thing I recently purchased some donut pans. So my search for my Tim Horton’s-“like” pumpkin spice donuts began. I went with this recipe from King Arthur Flour because it’s a trusted source and I liked PJ Hamel’s detailed explanation of the recipe. Plus it looked very similar to Tim Horton’s.It’s an easy one-bowl recipe that can be made by hand, which is the method I seem to prefer these days. You simply mix all the ingredients except the flour together until smooth, then stir in the flour and you’re done. How great is that? The donuts take just 15 minutes to bake and you toss them in some cinnamon sugar while they are still warm. And I’m telling you, nothing is better than a warm soft pumpkin donut freshly coated in cinnamon-sugar.
These donuts are incredibly soft and moist with a lovely pumpkin flavor. They are spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, and on top of that, they are wrapped in a wonderful cinnamon-sugar coating. The texture of the crunchy sugar coating with the soft center just takes these donuts over the top!
These made-from-scratch baked pumpkin donuts are soft, moist and fluffy with a delightful cinnamon-sugar coating.
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (365g) canned pumpkin purée
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg & 1/2 tsp ginger)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups minus 2 tbp (8oz) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two standard size donut pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the donut batter ingredients except the flour until smooth.
- Add in the flour and stir just until smooth again.
- Using a large muffin scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill the wells of the prepared baking pans about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool enough to handle.
- Toss the sugar and cinnamon in a medium ziplock bag. While the donuts are still warm, gently shake them in the sugar mixture to coat. Place them on a wire rack to cool or enjoy warm. See notes.
Because these donuts are quite moist, it’s best to coat them just before serving or at most a couple of hours before.
Store leftover donuts at room temperature on a cooling rack. Cover the donuts with a large tupperware container or sheet of wax paper. You want to shelter them, yet still allowing for air circulation.
Keywords: pumpkin donut recipe, baked pumpkin donut recipe, pumpkin spice donuts, cinnamon sugar pumpkin donuts