This easy-to-follow biscuit recipe makes wonderfully flaky and buttery biscuits every time. They are soft and fluffy on the inside, and made with just 6 simple ingredients.There is something comforting and homely about freshly baked biscuits. I mean, what’s not to love about warm soft biscuits that are filled with layers of tender-buttery goodness.This recipe is from Amber of Dessert Now Dinner Later, and the reason it’s my favorite biscuit recipe is because of it’s simplicity in technique and ingredients. You toss all the dry ingredients together, cut in the butter, stir in the buttermilk, and roll out the dough. It’s quick, easy and foolproof.
These biscuits are rich and buttery. They have distinct layers of flaky tender crumbs. The texture on the inside is incredibly soft and fluffy, it just melts in your mouth.They are great served as a side to accompany any meal, slathered with a little butter for breakfast, or enjoyed with some clotted cream and jam with your afternoon tea.Print
Flaky Butter Biscuits
This easy-to-follow biscuit recipe makes wonderfully flaky and buttery biscuits every time.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 biscuits
- Category: breakfast, side, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (114g) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 3/4 cup (188ml) cold buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450F and set side a baking sheet lined parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until only pea size chunks of butter remain.
- Add the cold buttermilk all at once and stir until dough forms.
- Gently knead the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out onto a 6×9″ rectangle. Cut the rectangle into thirds.Stack each third on top of one another and roll the dough into a 6×9-inch rectangle again.
- Using a 2¼ or 2½-inch biscuit cutter dipped in flour, cut out as many biscuits as you can and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Do your best to piece together the scraps and use up all the dough with the layering technique, without overworking the dough or melting the butter with your warm hands.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
The biscuits are best enjoyed the day of. Leftovers can stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords: biscuit recipe, buttermilk biscuit recipe, easy butter biscuits