Super easy to make, super chewy, buttery and sweet, and made from scratch.
What can I say about these brownies, other than that they’re fabulous! Every time I make them, I get asked for the recipe. Though I can’t take credit, as this recipe is from Carol Chambers, a good friend of my in-laws. Not only is she a great baker, she’s also a very talented artist. Check out her website www.carolchamberspainter.com to see some of her work.
With no mixer required, and just 10 minutes prep and 25 minutes bake time, they’re very simple to make. Super chewy and dense, sweet and full of butterscotch flavor. The walnuts add a nice crunchy texture and contrast to the sweetness. I also added some chocolate drizzle for fun, totally optional:)
Another great option is to add a sweet wine, like an ice wine or riesling reduction, over top of these brownies to make them extra decadent. The owner of Vintner’s Cellar in Waterloo, Ontario, (my friend Jenny-Lyn’s husband, James) made these brownies for a charity event called ‘Real Men Can Cook’. He poured a maple Riesling reduction sauce over the brownies and won first prize for best dessert. To make the reduction sauce, simply heat the wine in a sauce pan on low until one third of the original amount is left and pour over the baked brownies. Visit his website for a great selection of wine kits www.vintnerscellarwaterloo.com
Okay, now for the recipe. Enjoy!Print
Super easy to make, super chewy, buttery and sweet, and made from scratch butterscotch brownies.
- 1 pkg (300g/11oz) butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Butter and line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper
- Melt butterscotch chips and butter in a large glass bowl in the microwave for 1 minute
- Stir in brown sugar, let cool for about a minute
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside
- Add eggs and vanilla to butterscotch mixture, stir until combined
- Add flour mixture, combine, then spread onto baking pan, batter will be thick
- Sprinkle walnuts on top and gently press them into the batter
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cool completely and cut into bars
Optional: Heat 2 tbsp chocolate chips and 1 tbsp cream in a small glass bowl in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Stir and drizzle on top of brownies.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butterscotch brownie recipe, easy butterscotch brownies, chewy butterscotch brownies