Baileys & Coffee Cupcakes
These soft and fluffy cupcakes are enriched with a lovely coffee taste and spiked with an Irish cream whiskey buttercream. They have all the flavors of an Irish coffee in a cupcake form.
My husband and I will often enjoy an Irish coffee made with Baileys Irish Cream liqueur on a weekend morning or after a special dinner. It’s got cream and sugar already in it, so it’s kind of like making a regular coffee, but so much better. The Baileys adds a delightful chocolate and vanilla taste to the coffee. There’s also a warm and comforting aroma of peppery floral notes from the whiskey.
In celebration of St. Patrick’s Day coming up, I decided to create an adult cupcake version of this popular drink. The recipe starts with a light and moist cupcake infused with an intense coffee flavor. Then it’s topped with a rich and buttery Irish cream whiskey frosting.
These soft and fluffy cupcakes are enriched with a lovely coffee taste and spiked with an Irish cream whiskey buttercream.
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp(12g) instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp (15ml) warm water
- ½ cup (125g) sour cream
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3g) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1g) salt
- 1 + ½ cups (188g) all-purpose flour
For the buttercream
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tbsp (60ml) Baileys Irish Cream liqueur
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 muffin pans with 14 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetable oil and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add in the vanilla and eggs. Beat on medium speed until the eggs become pale. (about 1 minute)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the instant coffee in the warm water. Add to the wet mixture along with the sour cream. Mix until blended.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir on low speed until just combined. The batter won’t be super thick. Divide the batter amongst the 14 paper liners.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
To make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in 1 cup of powdered sugar, then mix in the Baileys. Add in the rest of the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mix until blended. Frost as desired. I used a Wilton 1M tip to apply my frosting.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coffee cupcake recipe, baileys irish cream cupcakes, coffee flavored cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt.