Moist and fluffy vanilla cake with a fresh strawberry and whipped cream filling, surrounded with a vanilla buttercream. This cake is perfect for any occasion.
April is a big birthday month for my family as my oldest brother, my middle niece, and I, are all April babies. We usually celebrate together because our birthdays are fairly close, and it’s a reason to get together even with everyone’s busy schedules. I love my family gatherings, it’s great to see my parents, brothers, sister in-laws, nieces and nephews all under one roof. There are eight grandkids in our family, so it can get pretty loud, but I enjoy seeing the kids play together. I’m grateful to say I have a pretty tight family. My siblings and I are very different, however, we all get along, and my parents taught us to always be there for one another, no matter what. It’s a wonderful feeling to know that you have that kind of love and support.
I usually make the dessert for my family gatherings, and I’ve made various things over the years. Some were a great success, and some were failures, and that’s where Fortino’s grocery store comes in handy.
I received a request for a simple vanilla cake, so that was part of my reason for making a vanilla cake for this occasion. Strawberries are a favorite among my nieces, so I paired it with some whipped cream and a vanilla buttercream. I kept it simple, elegant, and most important, delicious. My family is pretty honest, especially my mom. If something doesn’t taste good, she will voice her opinion and let you know. So, I’m glad to say, the cake was a hit! I even called my mom the next day to get her opinion again, just to make sure it was perfect before I posted it. I needed to get the approval from my toughest critic.
This cake has a moist, spongy texture that’s rich, and full of vanilla flavor. The strawberry and cream filling tastes fresh and light, and the cake is finished with a smooth and creamy vanilla buttercream – lovely.
So make this cake for your next get together, it will surely impress any crowd.
Buttercream and filling by Little Sweet Baker
I am Baker Rose Cake TutorialPrint
Vanilla Party Cake (with strawberries and cream filling)
Moist and fluffy vanilla cake with a fresh strawberry and whipped cream filling, surrounded with a vanilla buttercream.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12-16
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250ml) milk (I used whole milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 generous cup of diced strawberries
- 3/4 cup (188ml) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (25g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for buttercream:
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp (45ml) cream or milk
- 4 cups (500g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9 inch round cake pans, line bottoms with parchment paper, butter parchment. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes until combined.
- Add eggs and beat until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and mix until just combined.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter between the two prepared pans, smoothing tops with an offset spatula. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden and cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool pans on wire rack for 15 minutes then remove cakes from pan to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form, set aside in refrigerator.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy, add vanilla and 1 cup icing sugar, beat until combined. Add 1 tbsp of the cream or milk and another cup of icing sugar, mix again, continue with remaining cream or milk and icing sugar, beat until fluffy and smooth.
- To assemble cake, trim cake domes if needed, spread half of whipping cream onto each cake, sprinkle diced strawberries onto one, top with other, cream side down, pressing slightly.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream all around the outside of the cake, creating a crumb coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread another layer of buttercream on top of the cake, smooth with an offset spatula. Then transfer the remaining buttercream into a pastry bag with an large open star tip like a Wilton 1M. Pipe rosettes all around the sides of the cake. Fill in gaps by pipping a star in between.
- Top with some sprinkles or leave as is.
Keywords: vanilla cake recipe, vanilla layer cake, vanilla strawberry cake, vanilla buttercream recipe