April 19th, 2017 – Post updated with new photos and video.
The easiest and most delicious banana bread recipe. This banana bread is moist, full of fragrant banana flavor, and uses no fancy ingredients; it’s just your good old-fashioned, classic banana bread.
I know everyone has their own go-to banana bread recipe and I have made my fair share of banana bread over the years. There are so many variations out there. You can make it with nuts, chocolate chips, cream cheese, fruit, etc. All good on their own way, but sometimes you just want a simple classic banana bread – a feel-good comfort food.
The original recipe is from Taste of Home and it is actually called “Best Ever Banana Bread Recipe.” I trust the folks from the Taste of Home: when they say something is the best ever they mean it. I made a few modifications to the original recipe. I added and extra banana for more flavor, I reduced the amount of sugar because 1&1/2 cups was too sweet for my taste, and I rounded off the volume of milk to simplify things. This recipe is quite versatile, so you can adapt it to suit your own taste. For example, you can use melted butter instead of oil, you could substitute brown sugar for white, or you can add a teaspoon of cinnamon if you want to add a little spice. It all turns out delicious.
I was in the mood for some comfort food this week as I was feeling a little under the weather due to a cold. Even while the bread was still baking, the house filled with the lovely aroma of sweet bananas, and I started to feel better already.
My kids are a huge fan of this recipe, too. It makes for a tasty and simple snack and is also great for school lunches.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home Best Ever Banana Bread Recipe.
- 1 & ¾ (220g) cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & ½ cups (355g) overripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (62.5ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9x5" pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, mashed bananas, oil, milk and vanilla. Slowly add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.