Brighten up your day with these amazing cranberry orange muffins. They are soft and fluffy, packed with fresh orange flavor and studded with delicious tangy cranberries.
We’re in the midst of winter here in Ontario. The mornings are dark, so it’s challenging getting up out of bed sometimes. Especially when you look outside and it feels like it’s still night time. However, when you have a tasty breakfast to look forward to, it can really help motivate you to start your day.
These muffins can also be prepared the night before, which makes them a great time saver in the morning. It allows you to have a few more minutes in your warm comfy bed knowing that breakfast is already made. Also, if you are really pressed for time, you can just grab one of these scrumptious muffins to go.
This recipe takes just over half an hour from start to finish and that includes the bake time. It’s all made by hand, so there is no mixer required and there are minimal dishes to clean afterwards, which is always a bonus for me.
The texture of these cranberry orange muffins is moist, soft and fluffy. The taste is bold and vibrant with bursts of tart cranberries and speckles of orange zest throughout the muffin.
- 2 & ½ cups (310g) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (15g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- ½ cup (125ml)) vegetable oil
- 1 & ¼ cups (250g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- zest of one orange (about 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (62ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 &1/2 cups (150g) fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, milk, orange juice, vanilla and orange zest. Slowly add to the dry ingredients. Mix until JUST combined, then fold in the cranberries. Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temp to 375°F and bake for another 13-15 minutes.