Moist Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting (video)
Say goodbye to dry and boring vanilla cupcakes, and HELLO to these supremely moist and flavorful vanilla cupcakes of your dreams!
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 & ⅓ (165g) cup all-purpose flour
- 1 & ½ tsp (6g) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1g) salt
- ½ cup (114g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (60g) Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- ¾ cup (188ml) cold milk (buttermilk is best, but any kind works)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- seeds of 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar
- 2–3 tbsp (30-45ml) cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Then mix in the egg, yogurt, cold milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients. Whisk until just smooth and combined.
- Divide the batter into the 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
To make the buttercream:
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or handheld mixer, beat the butter, salt, and vanilla bean seeds until light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well in between. Add in the cream or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Beat on high speed for about 1 minute after the last addition of powdered sugar for a fluffy and airy texture. Frost the cupcakes as desired.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days at room temperature or up to 5 days in the fridge. You can also freeze these cupcakes for up to 3 months. See FAQ above for instructions.
- Use good quality vanilla – Since vanilla is the main flavor profile in this recipe, it’s best to use pure vanilla extract for the best taste.
- Use cold milk, yogurt, and egg – I know this is a bit unusual for a recipe that uses melted butter, but I find it works much better because it thickens the batter and gives the cupcakes a better rise. So no need to bring these ingredients to room temperature, just use straight from the fridge.
- Greek yogurt – You can substitute with regular yogurt, sour cream or mayonnaise.
- Buttermilk – You can use any kind of milk you have on hand even though buttermilk is best or you can make your own buttermilk. To make your own buttermilk: add 2 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup, fill to 3/4 cup with milk, stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
Keywords: vanilla cupcake recipe, best vanilla cupcakes, moist vanilla cupcakes, whipped vanilla buttercream