These cupcakes are super quick and easy to make, just add everything to one bowl, mix and in 10 minutes, you have cupcakes baking in the oven. Clean up is a breeze and they taste amazing, just like mint chocolate chip ice cream:)
After making this recipe from Martha Stewart’s new “Cakes” recipe book, I’m absolutely in love with the concept of one-bowl baking. Especially since I have a busy household and 2 small boys to look after. Hey, if you can make a small part of life easier, why not?
So give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
Buttercream recipe by Little Sweet BakerPrint
Chocolate Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Moist and rich chocolate cupcake with a cool mint chocolate chip buttercream.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: makes about 16 cupcakes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Dutch-processed)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk**
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2–3 tbsp cream or milk
- 1–2 tsp mint or peppermint extract, depending on your taste (I used 2 tsp)
- 1/2 mini chocolate chips plus extra to sprinkle
- green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 muffin pans with 16 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together until evenly mixed.
- Add in all wet ingredients and whisk together. Then using a rubber spatula, scrap down the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure no dry flour remains and whisk again, vigorously for another minute or two until smooth.
- Fill each liner 2/3’s full and bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
To make the buttercream:
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 2 tbsp of cream, extract, and 1 cup of icing sugar. Beat well and add remaining cups of icing sugar, one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add another tbsp of cream if needed to get desired consistency.
- Add the green food coloring, a few drops at a time until you get your desired color (I used 10 drops)
- Stir in chocolate chips, frost on top of completely cooled cupcakes.
If you want to pipe your frosting, make sure you use a large enough tip like a Wilton 8B or 1A
**You can store the rest of the buttermilk in the freezer in small plastic containers and when ready to use for another recipe, simply thaw and stir. Alternatively, you can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tbsp of white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup, then add enough milk (1% or higher) to make one cup. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Keywords: mint chocolate chip cupcake recipe, mint chocolate chip buttercream, chocolate cupcake recipe