Say goodbye to dry and boring vanilla cupcakes, and HELLO to these supremely moist and flavorful vanilla cupcakes of your dreams!
A good vanilla cupcake is just one of those things that suits all and any occasion. It’s like the little black dress. You can dress it up or dress it down. You can accessorize it with colored paper liners and/or sprinkles to match any event.
However, there is no excuse for a dry or bland vanilla cupcake.
This recipe is anything but dry or bland. It has a higher ratio of wet ingredients than dry in comparison to most other vanilla cupcake recipes out there. I used butter because it’s much more flavorful than using oil and it give a richness to the cupcakes. I incorporated Greek yogurt for tender and moist crumbs. I also used buttermilk again for more moisture. Its like a trifecta method for making sure these cupcakes are ultimately moist.
This recipe is also quite simple. There is no creaming of the butter, no alternating between wet and dry ingredients. You simply mix everything with a whisk, stir the wet and dry ingredients together, and you’re done!
I topped the cupcakes with a fluffy whipped vanilla bean buttercream. I just love the speckled look of the vanilla bean seeds and it gives the buttercream a very natural vanilla flavor. I’ll be honest though, I didn’t intend for the whipped frosting. I had my mixer on too high during the final addition of powdered sugar, so I just went with it:)
- 1 & ⅓ (165g) cup all-purpose flour
- 1 & ½ tsp (6g) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1g) salt
- ½ cup (114g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (60g) Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- ¾ cup (188ml) milk (buttermilk is best, but any kind works)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ tsp (1g) salt
- seeds of 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 3 cups (375g) of powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45ml) of cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Add in the egg, milk, yogurt and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients. Whisk until just smooth and combined.
- Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups. They will be almost full.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or handheld mixer, beat the butter, salt and vanilla bean seeds until light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well in between. Add in the cream or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Beat on high speed for about 1 minute after the last addition of powdered sugar for a fluffy and airy texture. Frost the cupcakes as desired.