With a rich buttery shortbread crust and a thick layer of tangy lemon curd on top, these zesty lemon bars are packed with robust lemon flavor.
How tart versus how sweet you prefer the lemon filling to be. Whether you like a firm or soft filling.
What kind of crust, and what crust-to-lemon topping ratio you prefer.
My recipe is a perfect 1:1 crust to filling ratio. It’s thicker than most lemon bar recipes, which makes each bite more flavorful and satisfying. The base is a crumbly buttery shortbread. The richness of the shortbread contrasts beautifully with the fresh tart citrus taste. The lemon curd is zesty and not too sweet, which emphasizes the lemony flavor. It’s firm enough to hold its shape when sliced, yet it still lusciously melts in your mouth.
- 1&1/4 cups (155g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (55g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp (10g) cornstarch
- ½ cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1&1/2 cups (300g) sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- ½ cup (62g) all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 8x8" square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Toss flour, powdered sugar and cornstarch together.
- Cut in the softened butter using a fork or pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. I used a fork in the video, but it's much faster with a pastry cutter or pulse with a food processor.
- Press onto prepared baking pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Slowly add in the flour, whisking quickly to prevent lumps.
- Pour over hot crust and bake for another 25 minutes or until the lemon filling is set.
- Let stand at room temperature to cool and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
I’ll be sharing these lemon bars at Fiesta Friday #118 hosted by Angie, co-hosted by Kaila @ GF Life 24/7 and Laurena @ Life Diet Health.