These delightfully soft and moist muffins are made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and sweetened with maple syrup. They are packed with wholesome goodness and full of flavor.
I can’t believe how quickly the summer is going by. There is only one more week until the kids are back in school and everyone is back into a routine. So, as a mom it’s time to start thinking about school lunches, healthy snacks and quick breakfast ideas (and earlier bedtimes).
These muffins are loaded with fruits and veggies, and are made with only healthy ingredients. There is no refined sugar in these delicious goodies. They are naturally sweetened with maple syrup, fresh apples, carrots and raisins. The texture is unbelievably moist and fluffy considering they are made with whole wheat flour, and there is no butter. They taste like a cross between an apple spice muffin and a carrot cake, all wrapped in a portable little package, which makes them perfect for lunch boxes, an after-school snack, and/or a quick grab-and-go breakfast.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- 2 cups (225g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp (10g) baking soda
- 2 tsp (5g) ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (80ml) melted coconut oil
- ⅔ cup (165ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (120g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) grated apples (sweet variety is best)
- 1 cup (95g) grated carrots (about 1 med)
- ½ cup (75g) raisins
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs and yogurt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until the batter starts to come together.
- Fold in the carrots, apple and raisin until just combined. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes, then reduce the temp to 350F and bake for another 15 minutes for until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
I’ll be sharing this at Fiesta Friday #134.