Moist and fluffy vanilla cake with a fresh strawberry and whipped cream filling, surrounded with a vanilla buttercream.
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250ml) milk (I used whole milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 generous cup of diced strawberries
- 3/4 cup (188ml) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (25g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for buttercream:
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp (45ml) cream or milk
- 4 cups (500g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9 inch round cake pans, line bottoms with parchment paper, butter parchment. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes until combined.
- Add eggs and beat until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and mix until just combined.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter between the two prepared pans, smoothing tops with an offset spatula. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden and cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool pans on wire rack for 15 minutes then remove cakes from pan to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form, set aside in refrigerator.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy, add vanilla and 1 cup icing sugar, beat until combined. Add 1 tbsp of the cream or milk and another cup of icing sugar, mix again, continue with remaining cream or milk and icing sugar, beat until fluffy and smooth.
- To assemble cake, trim cake domes if needed, spread half of whipping cream onto each cake, sprinkle diced strawberries onto one, top with other, cream side down, pressing slightly.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream all around the outside of the cake, creating a crumb coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread another layer of buttercream on top of the cake, smooth with an offset spatula. Then transfer the remaining buttercream into a pastry bag with an large open star tip like a Wilton 1M. Pipe rosettes all around the sides of the cake. Fill in gaps by pipping a star in between.
- Top with some sprinkles or leave as is.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vanilla cake recipe, vanilla layer cake, vanilla strawberry cake, vanilla buttercream recipe