This simple tasty cake is bursting with strawberry flavor in every bite and is super easy to make.
- 6 oz (~3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 oz (~1&1/3 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1lb fresh strawberries, cut in half or quartered depending on size (reserve a few half pieces for topping)
- whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 9″ round cake pan or pie plate.
- Beat the eggs and sugar (and vanilla if desired) using an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes (or until pale in color)
- Using a rubber spatula, gently stir in the sifted flour just until the batter is combined and smooth.
- Fold in the strawberries and spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan. Top with a few strawberry halves.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400F. Then lower the temp to 350F and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool to just warm or room temperature. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
This cake is best enjoyed fresh the day of. Because of the natural juices from the strawberries, the cake tends to get soggy the day after.
- Use room temperature eggs. Room temperature eggs whip up and rise more easily which is especially important in this recipe.
- Beat your eggs and sugar well. Because there are no leavening agents in this recipe, make sure you take the time to beat your eggs and sugar very well to incorporate as much air as possible. This is what gives the cake its structure.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour. You want to be gentle when mixing in the flour so you don’t deflate all the air that was incorporated into the batter while beating your eggs. For best results, use a rubber spatula and an over-and-under motion to mix.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry cake recipe, easy strawberry cake, french strawberry cake