Quick Molasses Brown Bread
This quick molasses brown bread is loaded with wholesome goodness and only takes 10 minutes to prepare. It’s crusty on the outside and moist on the inside with a rich tantalizing nutty flavour.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: one 9x5" loaf
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups (260g) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk or sour milk*
- 3 tbsp Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, sunflower seeds, flax seed, hemp seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, molasses, and melted butter.
- Add in 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time, whisking in between to prevent lumps. The batter will be thin.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the rolled oats on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until well browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in saran wrap for 2-3 days at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
*To make sour milk, add 1 tsp of white vinegar to each cup of milk or replace 1/4 of milk with yogurt.
Keywords: quick brown bread, molasses brown bread