This quick molasses brown bread is loaded with wholesome goodness and only takes 10 minutes to prepare. It’s crusty on the outside and moist on the inside with a rich tantalizing nutty flavour.
- 2 cups (260g) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk or sour milk*
- 3 tbsp Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, sunflower seeds, flax seed, hemp seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, molasses, and melted butter.
- Add in 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time, whisking in between to prevent lumps. The batter will be thin.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the rolled oats on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until well browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in saran wrap for 2-3 days at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
*To make sour milk, add 1 tsp of white vinegar to each cup of milk or replace 1/4 of milk with yogurt.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quick brown bread, molasses brown bread