These buttermilk biscuits are soft, flaky and delightfully buttery.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup (114g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (188ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the buttermilk in the freezer for 10 minutes while preparing other ingredients.
- Put the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, cover and heat on high for 30 seconds. If not completely melted, return to microwave for 10 second intervals till melted. Set aside to cool a bit while gathering other ingredients.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- After the buttermilk has been chilled in the freezer for 10 minutes. Slowly whisk in the butter with a fork. Stir until small clumps or globules form. (See picture above)
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula just until all flour is incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl. Dough should be stiff and not super wet.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface and coat all sides with flour. Gently knead a few times and pat out to 1 1/2″ in thickness.
- Using a 2″ biscuit cutter, cut out as many biscuits as you can, and place on prepare baking sheet about 1 1/2″ apart. Knead the scraps a few times untill they hold together, then pat out again and cut out more biscuits.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Category: breakfast, side, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy biscuit recipe, buttermilk biscuits, flaky biscuits